If you’ve never had chicken shawarma before, be prepared to be blown away. This chicken shawarma recipe will yield juicy, perfectly charred chicken that’s bursting with incredible flavor.
Chicken shawarma is a favorite Middle Eastern dish, typically served on a skewer with rice or salad, or enveloped inside pita bread as a wrap. It’s a very easy dish to create and is suitable for large gatherings or just a tasty weeknight dinner.
The chicken gets its fantastic flavor from a small handful of spices, including ground coriander, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, and paprika. The blend of flavorful spices will fill the space where you are grilling with an intoxicating aroma that you won’t be able to resist.
While this chicken shawarma recipe is really easy to whip up, it does require that you allow the chicken to rest in its marinade for at least 12 hours. The great part about this is that if you’re looking for a simple make-ahead recipe, this delicious Middle Eastern dish is it!
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Idle time: 12 hours
- 2 lb. chicken thigh fillets skinless and boneless
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper (for spicier blend use 1 tsp)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- pita bread for serving
- lettuce and tomatoes for serving
- Add the garlic, spices, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil to a large ziplock bag. Give the bag a shake to mix it all up.
- Add the chicken pieces into the ziplock bag and give the bag a few shakes to get the chicken covered in some of the marinade. Use your hands to rub the chicken and bag together to better distribute the marinade. Set in the fridge for at least 12 hours.
- When you're ready to grill, turn on the barbecue to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken pieces to the grill and cook each side for 4 to 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate and cover with foil; allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving with pita bread, lettuce, and tomato.
Recipe adapted from recipetineats.com