As we ease into the cold and flu season, it’s important to stay on top of our health by getting enough vitamin C and sleep to keep our immune system strong. Recipes like this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup can not only help us stay nourished and protected against illness, but they can be a great source of relief if we do happen to fall victim to the common cold.
Aside from being warm and comforting, this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup recipe is incredibly easy to make. This is perhaps the best part of this soup recipe because when you’re feeling sick, the last thing you want to do is hover over your kitchen stove and prepare a laborious meal.
To create this chicken noodle soup, you’ll need your classic soup ingredients like carrots, celery, noodles, and, of course, chicken. For this recipe, we use a whole chicken that’s cooked then shredded using a couple of forks. The shredded chicken is then added back into the pot and stirred with the rest of the soup ingredients.
This Instant Pot chicken noodle soup recipe only requires a few hands-on steps, including the part where you shred the chicken and the part where you sauté the onion and garlic. If you don’t want to chop up your veggies yourself, you can buy pre-chopped veggies from the market (either in the frozen food aisle or the produce section).
Once your soup is ready, feel free to serve yourself a bowl then keep the rest of the soup warm using the pot’s “keep warm” setting so that you can enjoy hot soup for the remainder of the day.
Cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 5 carrots peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 celery sticks sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 whole chicken (5 lbs.) giblets removed and discarded
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 8 cups of water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 oz of extra wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup of minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- Add the oil to the Instant Pot and turn on the sauté function. Once the oil is warm, add in the onion and sauté for a few minutes until softened. Add the garlic and give it a stir, cooking for another 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots, celery, whole chicken, water, soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of salt, and some freshly ground black pepper to the pot. Switch the sauté function off, seal the lid on the pot and set the pressure valve to sealing. Set the pot to high pressure for 20 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot beeps and switches to warm mode, use the quick release pressure method and open the valve. Open the pot and remove the whole chicken.
- Add the egg noodles to the pot and cook the noodles for about 5 minutes. While the noodles are cooking, shred the chicken using two forks. Discard the bones and skin.
- Once the noodles have finished cooking, add the shredded chicken back into the pot along with the fresh parsley. Stir to combine, then serve hot in individual bowls.
Recipe adapted from number-2-pencil.com