This Thai BBQ recipe is packed with delicious flavor from the bold Thai spices and coconut milk that’s used to marinate the chicken in. Grilling the chicken on a hot barbeque only adds to its delicious, slightly charred flavor.
We love making this Thai bbq recipe when we’re looking for a way to mix things up with chicken. Like chicken satay, this Thai bbq recipe calls for dressing up chicken in a flavorful marinade and cooking the chicken on a hot grill.
The chicken in this recipe gets fantastic flavor from the coconut milk, curry powder, garlic, and ginger that’s used to dress it. The coconut milk also does a wonderful job of tenderizing the chicken.
We love serving this Thai bbq recipe with Thai sticky rice, but you could also pair the chicken with some grilled veggies for a low-carb version. Either way, this is a great recipe to serve up during a backyard party where you and your guests can gather around the grill and drool over this scrumptious dish!
Cook time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Idle time: 4 hours
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped coriander root or cilantro
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp freshly ground black or white pepper
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound whole chicken
- Asian sweet chili sauce available in specialty shops
- Thai Sticky Rice optional
- Combine the coconut milk, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, curry powder, lemongrass, coriander root, sugar, and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove the backbone from the chicken. Lay the chicken skin side up on the work surface and flatten it gently. Cut the chicken in half. Arrange the chicken halves in a baking dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken and rub the marinade all over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set a rack over the baking sheet and arrange the chicken halves, cut side down, on the rack. Discard the excess marinade.
- Roast the chicken in the oven until it is almost cooked through, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Cut each chicken half into 4 pieces: 1 breast, 1 wing, 1 leg, and 1 thigh piece.
- Prepare the barbecue or grill pan for medium-high heat. Grill the chicken pieces until they are just cooked through and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and serve with the sticky rice and sweet chili sauce.
Updated by Beeta Hashempour on 6/14/2018