This vegetable rice recipe is the perfect way to get in your daily fill of veggies. Sauteed, seasonal vegetables add fantastic depth of flavor (not to mention a bevy of healthful vitamins) to classic rice pilaf.
This simple rice recipe nicely complements grilled chicken or baked salmon. If you end up with any leftovers, you can enjoy this vegetable rice as a satisfying and sustaining midday meal.
In a pinch, replace any of the vegetables we recommend with what’s fresh and available to you on the day of preparation. For instance, during the summer, squash like zucchini, as well as a colorful variety of bell peppers, make for an excellent seasonal bunch. In the fall, you could use butternut squash and brussels sprouts.
Regardless of which vegetables you choose to use in this vegetable rice recipe, make sure your produce is fresh, as your finished dish is sure to prove delicious.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow squash chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups brown or long-grain rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add vegetables to olive oil and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add rice and lower heat to a simmer, sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes (do not allow the rice to brown).
- Add vegetable stock and stir. Cover and let cook over low heat for 18-20 minutes or until rice is tender and stock is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 3 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Garnish with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve as a side or main.
Updated by Beeta Hashempour on 5/16/2018