Relationships need work. Yes, unromantic as it may sound, people need to make some effort at keeping the romance intact especially when they are separated by distance. While life in the digital age is whooshing past with multiple commitments, cut-throat competition and information overload stifling whatever little freedom we have, it’s often difficult to focus your energy on keeping the love of your life happy and satisfied. And when that love is miles away for whatever reason, you have to necessarily double those efforts.
So instead of working harder on your relationship, just be smart and read on for our simple tips to make sure your mate stays in love with you irrespective of their geographical location:
- Communicate Often: This may seem obvious but it is quality not quantity that counts. Schedule regular chats with each other, whether via phone call, Skype, Gchat or text. Don’t multi-task when you’re connecting with them. Focus solely on each other and communicate as if they’re actually with you. Sexting and racy phone sex is another way to keep the sparks flying, if you do it right.
- Lift Them Up: instead of crying about how much you miss them and what you wish could be possible, focus on the fun stuff going on in your lives and share that. Update them on what changes are going on at work, with your friends and family and stuff that’s taking place in your city. That way you both will feel as though you’re participating in each other’s lives.
- Don’t Fight: If something contentious does ever come up, trying to thrash it out over text or email where you cannot read expressions or body language and the wrong word can ignite ill feelings. Save it for when you can see each other while talking so you don’t misread statements.
- Be Honest: This rule obviously applies to all relationships but when it’s long distance, this can make or break things. If one of you starts to want out, let the other person know your thoughts so they don’t hang on and get hurt. Temptation exists everywhere, so don’t use distance as an excuse to cheat.
- Fix Meetings: It may start to take a toll on your financial, career, physical and emotional health if you keep traveling to meet each other often. Instead plan trips and take turns, but keep some of the excitement alive by including certain spontaneous surprise elements.
- Have A Life: Doing your own thing when your SO is not around will just give you both that much more to share when you are together. They may get their ego massaged initially by how you spend all day moping and pining for them, but knowing you have a fully charged existence even minus them, will help them respect you more and also avoid feeling smothered and tied down.