It’s a rough time for your teen: hormonal surges that are causing drastic bodily changes and mood swings, peer pressure that causes conflicts, and most of all, the confusion over whether you are their friend or enemy. Here are five ways in which you can cut the drama, and get closer to your teen girl:
- Don’t rise to the bait when she’s throwing a tantrum. Don’t throw one of your own either. As a parent, it’s your job to stay calm through the storm. Do things that are good for you, such as eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and seeking support from your social circle while she rages and rolls her eyes at you. Try not to take those insults personally.
- Conflict is natural and healthy, as it creates a cycle of rupture and repair, which allows your relationship to evolve. After a fight, have a discussion where you communicate what went wrong, and get to the bottom of it.
- Acknowledging the changes she’s going through allows her to get positive feedback. When you tell her what you see, you let her know you are documenting her development and in turn she may turn to you for advice when she is confused. Regular dialogs with her will ensure you don’t get overwhelmed by the changes you’re seeing in her.
- It really is easier to preach, so be one to practice whatever you want her to learn. Watch how you act, when it comes to your romantic relationships, friendships, appearance, financial responsibilitie, health and work ethic. She will be learning more than even she realizes, just by observing you.
- If it hasn’t struck you yet, you will soon realize that she’s not going to be with you long. But before you get to the point of reminiscing her childhood, make a plan to spend quality time with her regularly. Cook together, go window shopping, take a walk with the dog or just have tea without any interruptions. This will create a safe space for her and make it easier for her to open up to you.
Science Says: Teens Spending Long Hours Online At Night Are Prone To Depression
Parenting QA: Tips & Advice For Dealing With A Hormonal Teenager?