2016 was a rough year. It tested us politically, economically, socially, and spiritually. But we are a resilient sort, and as the American psychologist and popular science author Angela Lee Duckworth explains in her popular TED Talk on grit, it will be grit that helps us move forward, with generosity, humility, and passion.
But what about the days when the sun refuses to shine, the moments that test who we are, our grit, the very most? How can we be motivated to forge on, and continue to strive to be our best, whatever that may look like?
The answer is complicated, but there is no doubt we can seek some solace in the words of our community, and in the words of strong leaders of our time and before, especially when it comes to shedding any lingering negativity of events past.
Also on Z Living: The First Step To Creating A Life You Love
Here are a few inspiring mantras, quotes, and all-around inspiring words to help you keep on keepin’ on in 2017, and to shed all the baggage of the past year:
- "Sometimes you can only find Heaven by slowly backing away from Hell." - Carrie Fisher
- “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need.” - Lao Tzu
- “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” - Oprah Winfrey
- “Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.” - Diana Ross
- “Suffering is not holding you. You are holding suffering. When you become good at the art of letting sufferings go, then you’ll come to realize how unnecessary it was for you to drag those burdens around with you. You’ll see that no one else other than you was responsible. The truth is that existence wants your life to become a festival.” - Osho
- “Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.” - Vince Lombardi
- “The best skill at cards is knowing when to discard.” - Baltasar Gracián
- "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius
- “You can only lose what you cling to.” - Buddha
- “Nirvana means to extinguish the burning fires of the Three Poisons: greed, anger, and ignorance. This can be accomplished by letting go of dissatisfaction.” - Shinjo Ito
Also on Z Living: The Real Reason You Should Be Meditating
Do you have any favorite quotes, mantras, or other words to live by? Tell us in the comments, or please share with us via social media.