Do acne breakouts bother you even after puberty? Acne, though a common problem in teenagers, can affect anyone between the age of 20 and 50.
Though many see it as a cosmetic problem, acne is a chronic skin condition that causes relapses and flare-ups. In severe cases, it can lead to skin discoloration and scarring, which has a negative impact on the self-esteem of most people.
In teenagers, acne is caused by oil glands that become overactive due to the effect of growth hormones. The base of the hair follicles get clogged and bacteria begin to thrive. The immune system mounts an attack against this bacteria, resulting in blackheads, whiteheads and pustules (pus filled pimples). In adults, elevated levels of the stress hormone (cortisol), overactive immune system and high hormone sensitivity (surge in male hormones such as testosterone) are the prime reasons for acne.
Homeopathy & Acne
Homeopathy takes an individualistic and holistic approach in treating any condition. In order to determine the right homeopathic remedy, a homeopath would do a case analysis, check your medical history, your age, gender, ethnicity, and your physical, mental and emotional constitution. The potency and dosage of homeopathic remedies differ from person to person.
Therapeutic medicine is prepared by diluting the active substance in 10 or 100 parts of water or alcohol. The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) says that since homeopathic remedies are highly diluted, they are generally safe if taken under professional supervision. They also do not cause any side effects.
Homeopathic Remedies For Acne
Here are the most effective homeopathic remedies managing acne.
1. Sulfur: A common remedy prescribed in homeopathy for chronic acne, sulfur is particularly effective for individuals with rough and hard skin, who have comedones, acne that itches in the evening and a reddish rash on the face.
2. Kali Bromatum: Effective in combating hormonal imbalances, kali bromatum fights mental stress, diabetes and relieves sexual tension, thus reducing acne flare-ups.
3. Sanguinaria Canadensis: Helpful for women with irregular periods and improper blood circulation, sanguinaria canadensis reduces urinary tract infections, coryza (inflammation of the mucous membrane) and diarrhea. It reduces skin sensitivity, burning sensations and redness caused by severe acne.
4. Antimonium Crudum: Useful in providing relief from autoimmune disorder that can causes arthritis, antimonium crudum relieves irritability, improves appetite, reduces fatigue and get rid of red pimples on the face.
5. Natrum Muriaticum: This remedy reduces oily secretions from the sebaceous glands (oil glands) and prevents the growth of acne-causing bacteria. Natrum muriaticum is also reduce shortness of breath, depression, hyperthyroidism, diabetes and goiter (swelling in the neck produced by an abnormally enlarged thyroid gland).
6. Nux vomica: It prevents skin rashes on the face and is good for individuals who have anxiety issues.
7. Belladonna: Belladonna is excellent to treat acne rosacea (a condition in which there is persistent redness over the face that normally looks like a blush).
8. Arctium Lappa: arctium lappa has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for treating acne and is beneficial in relieving inflammation caused by acne. It also controls the occurrence of pimples on the face and neck region.
9. Bovista: Useful in managing acne breakouts caused by over use of cosmetics, bovista calms itchy skin in warm conditions.
10. Calcarea Phosphoricum: It relieves symptoms of anemia in girls at puberty and helps balance hormones, thus preventing acne and skin redness.
Though most homeopathic medicines do not require a prescription, you should always consult a homeopath before taking one as, in homeopathy, two individuals can have different remedies for the same medical condition.
Where You Can Get Treatment
Here are a few centers across the country where you can find a homeopath.
1. San Jose, California
California Homeopathic Clinic
2. Dothan, Alabama
Natural Health Clinic of Southeast Alabama
3. Chicago, Illinois
4. New York City, New York
Rebecca Elmaleh, MD
5. Orlando, Florida
The Center For Natural & Integrative Medicine
6. Houston, Texas
Homeopathy Center Of Houston
For more interesting stories, visit our Health page. Read more stories on Complementary and Alternative Medicine here.
1. Miglani A, Manchanda R. Observational study of Arctiumlappa in the treatment of acne vulgaris. Homeopathy. 2014;103(3):203-207. doi:10.1016/j.homp.2013.12.002.
2. Vithoulkas.com. Online MateriaMedica | International Academy of Classical Homeopathy. 2015. Available at: http://www.vithoulkas.com/online-materia-medica-2.
3. Ray C. Acne And Its Treatment Lines. 1st ed. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Biosciences, Universal Research Publications; 2013.