Body wraps using seaweed are popular spa skin treatment these days, and for good reason. They are ideal for tightening skin and stimulating blood circulation, and also recommended for people dealing with stretch marks. But that’s not all—there are plenty more health benefits of this body wrap.
Here are some reasons you should consider booking a seaweed wrap pronto or, better yet, making your own:
1. Detoxification: A seaweed body wrap helps eliminate toxins from your body. The paste is applied to the body in a warm state, so it helps you to sweat. During this process, your body eliminates most of its impurities. These are brought out to the surface of the skin and rinsed away when the wrap is washed off.
2. Dead Skin Removal and Moisturization: Dead skin makes your skin look dull and stops your body from absorbing moisture. The sweat from the seaweed wrap loosens the dead skin and aids in its removal. Seaweed itself is filled with plenty of proteins, vitamins, minerals and lipids that easily soak into the skin and add moisture to it.
3. Regeneration: Over time, your skin loses the ability to stretch and return to normal. This is a natural process of your skin aging as you mature and leads to stretch marks and wrinkles. Seaweed contains antioxidants, essential fatty acids and vitamin A, all of which can help rebuild the elasticity of the skin. It also makes your skin more supple by increasing blood flow to the surface, regenerating damaged skin cells, producing collagen to firm and tone the skin, and reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
4. Cellulite Reduction and Toning: A seaweed body wrap can help aid the shaping of your skin. This in turn makes your skin smoother and tighter by direct diffusion of vitamins and minerals. Additionally, if cellulite is a problem, a seaweed wrap may help reduce the undesirable marks left on the skin.
DIY Seaweed Wrap
You don’t have to hit the spa to reap the benefits of a seaweed wrap; creating one at home is easy (albeit a tad messy).
- About ½ cup of seaweed powder (buy it here)
- 4 tbsp of your favorite oil
- A few drops of essential oil (optional)
- Warm water (as per requirement)
- Towels and a plastic wrap
How To Make & Apply:
- Mix the seaweed powder with the oils and water to get a mud-like consistency.
- If you are using essential oils, add them once you have the desired consistency for the wrap.
- Before applying it on your body, place a towel where you will be laying, and then cover the same with plastic wrap as you will eventually wrap both around your body
- Starting from the waist down, apply the mixture over the entire body.
- Once done, use the plastic wrap to cover areas where you’ve used the mixture
- Place another towel over you to keep you covered and warm. It is ideal to use something warm, like a heated blanket or towels just out of the dryer, to induce additional sweating. The more you sweat with the wrap on, the better results you will get.
- Lie like this for about half an hour. Wash off with a warm shower.