When you think about romantic travel, a sweet kiss at the Eiffel Tower comes to mind. Or, perhaps, a dreamy ride in a gondola. Why restrict the love to Paris and Venice? There are stunning destinations to explore in our own country. This Valentine’s Day, take a trip to one of these American cities.
1. Aspen, Colorado: If the idea of snuggling up against the backdrop of a snowy mountain range catches your fancy, head to Aspen. It also happens to be the peak season to visit this Old West mountain town. Stroll through its white streets with your loved one, while taking in the Victorian architecture. You could also go skiing, or visit one of the many restaurants here and sip on their craft beers, while you enjoy the view from over 10,000 feet.
2. Charleston, South Carolina: It could get a little nippy at this time of the year, but Charleston continues to be a favorite during Valentine’s week. And why not; with its cobblestone streets, unique architecture, the famous Pineapple Fountain, the welcoming folks (ranked number 9 on the list of the world’s friendliest people), and the historic neighborhood, this city’s charm is unparalleled. You can tour the tea plantations, or enjoy a quiet brunch by the riverside.
3. Carmel, California: Carmel, or more appropriately, Carmel-by-the-sea, is a seaside village town in Monterey County in California. Lined with art galleries, storybook cottages, quaint shops and enticing eateries, it makes for a slightly indulgent affair. But its picturesque ocean view is romantic and rejuvenating. Stroll through the cypress-fringed path that overlooks the coast, or just cuddle by the beach as the sun goes down. For other activities, check out the wine tasting rooms around town, Clint Eastwood’s Mission Ranch, and Big Sur.
4. Kauai, Hawaii: Many couples also love this island city during Valentine’s for its chocolate-sand beaches, clear skies and warming sunsets. If you’re the enthusiastic kind, you’ll love the island sports. Or take a swim with your sweety. Don’t forget to visit the scenic Na Pali Coast and the Kalalau Trail.
5. San Francisco: Pull out your winter wear and head to this vibrant city, which has topped the romance list of many a survey. With a multitude of colorful backgrounds, it provides for memorable selfies. Its Victorian row houses, Art Deco mansions, hilly bohemian neighborhoods, rugged natural vistas, and of course the Golden Gate Bridge make it a favorite with couples around the world.
6. Savannah, Georgia: It is one of the most romantic getaways on the East Coast. Because it gets chilly this time around, you may stumble upon some good hotel deals. With its southern simplicity and hospitality, horse-driven carriages, people walking arm-in arm, and classic old-fashioned homes, you can kindle a Victorian romance here. Also, take the much-reputed ghost tour and cling on tighter to your love.
7. St Pauls, Minnesota: The smaller, quieter and the more sophisticated of the Twin Cities in Minnesota, St Pauls makes it to our list, too. It is ideal for a romantic getaway because of its varied offerings like the paddle-wheeler rides along the Mississippi, beer tastings, ice skating, and a thriving performance arts scene. Some of the Grande hotels here also offer a floating bed and breakfast houseboat on the river. Now that just sets the bar really high.
Make a booking at the closest city around you, and surprise your partner this year.