A phase that marks the end of your reproductive life, menopause is associated with a variety of physiological changes often resulting in unpleasant symptoms like mood swings, irregular periods and hot flashes. Some women are even hit by osteoporosis and depression.
While hormonal therapy is often recommended to balance the hormones, certain natural herbs also exhibit similar properties and can successfully alleviate menopausal symptoms. Here are five herbs that can relieve your menopause-related problems.
For more interesting stories, visit our Health page. To find remedies for menopausal-related problems, visit our Women’s Health section here.
5 Essential Foods Every Woman Must Add To Her Diet
Natural Remedies To Cope With Hot Flashes
4 Wonder Herbs For Women
1. Shams T, Setia MS, Hemmings R, McCusker J, Sewitch M, Ciampi A. Efficacy of black cohosh-containing preparations on menopausal symptoms: a meta-analysis. Altern Ther Health Med. 2010 Jan-Feb;16(1):36-44. Review. PubMed PMID: 20085176.
2. Mirabi P, Mojab F. The effects of valerian root on hot flashes in menopausal women. Iran J Pharm Res. 2013 Winter;12(1):217-22. PubMed PMID: 24250592; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3813196.
3. Rahte S, Evans R, Eugster PJ, Marcourt L, Wolfender JL, Kortenkamp A, Tasdemir D. Salvia officinalis for hot flushes: towards determination of mechanism of activity and active principles. Planta Med. 2013 Jun;79(9):753-60. doi: 10.1055/s-0032-1328552. Epub 2013 May 13. PubMed PMID: 23670626.
4. Grube B, Walper A, Wheatley D. St. John’s Wort extract: efficacy for menopausal symptoms of psychological origin. Adv Ther. 1999 Jul-Aug;16(4):177-86. PubMed PMID: 10623319.
5. Abdali K, Khajehei M, Tabatabaee HR. Effect of St John’s wort on severity, frequency, and duration of hot flashes in premenopausal, perimenopausal and postmenopausal women: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Menopause. 2010 Mar;17(2):326-31. doi: 10.1097/gme.0b013e3181b8e02d. PubMed PMID: 20216274.
6. Rigelsky JM, Sweet BV. Hawthorn: pharmacology and therapeutic uses. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2002 Mar 1;59(5):417-22. Review. PubMed PMID: 11887407.