A smart way to eat right for your skin is to follow an Ayurvedic diet that revels in the goodness of the balance of your doshas—vata, pitta, or kapha. These help determine the skin conditions your are likely to face, and how they should be tackled.
In simple terms, it’s an alternate way of caring for your ‘skin type’. Those with oily skin fall into the pitta category, and generally tend to perspire more, which is why they fare better in cooler climates. If your skin has an inherent scarlet hue, and you have bouts of freckles, acne, pigmentation, and inflammation, you’ll notice that these are all the characteristics common between the oily skin type, and those under the pitta dosha.
That said, there are some simple dietary recommendations to help your body remain cool from within, and balance your sebum levels to prevent acne and breakouts:
- Try and include protein (meat), vitamins (cooking oils) and iron (fish, parsley, kale) in every meal.
- Eat plenty of raw leafy green vegetables like lettuce and cabbage.
- Eat fresh fruits like apples and bananas.
- Keep your B2 levels up with nutritional yeast, wheat germ, whole grains, black beans, black lentils, split peas and rice. A deficiency in vitamin B2 can cause oily skin.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water per day.
- Eat sour oranges, sour apricots, kiwis, grapefruits and cranberries.
- Indulge in dehydrating soft drinks and alcoholic beverages.
- Load up on meat, and fried and highly-seasoned foods. Also, avoid animal fats and heat-processed vegetable oils. Use cold-pressed canola or olive oil instead.
- Eat refined sugar, salt, chocolate and junk food.
With that in mind, we also urge you to learn How To ID The Type Of Acne You Have, In Order To Treat It Successfully, and get a handle on those blackheads, white heads and pimples with some skincare DIYs before the problem worsens.
PS: For solutions to suit your specific skin type, head to our Skincare Section.
Also, here’s the latest on what’s trending in the world of Beauty.
Did You Know? Gel-Based Beauty Products Are Ideal For Oily Skin
Why Even The Best Acne Creams Aren’t Being Able To Save You From Those Zits
What Are The Best Foods To Eat & Avoid For My Dosha?