How often do you wash your makeup brushes? Believe it or not, there are hundreds of different bacteria that can be lurking in between the bristles of your makeup brushes. In addition to the infections and health hazards that can happen when your skin is exposed to bacteria, dirty brushes can also get in the way of the look you want to achieve for that date night.
Take care of your makeup brushes and protect your skin from bacterial infections by cleaning your makeup brushes with this organic makeup cleanser.
How to Make a Makeup Brush Cleanser
Let’s keep those makeup brushes lasting long with this makeup brush cleanser that’ll disinfect your brushes. Mostly made of castile soap, a vegetable oil-based cleanser, this recipe also calls for olive oil, which helps get rid of buildup and helps keep the bristles moisturized and in good condition.
Lemon and tea tree essential oils also present in this recipe are both antibacterial. Lemon essential oil is a natural disinfectant and keeps those brushes smelling fresh while cleaning the toxins that may be present. Tea tree essential oil contains similar properties and is a powerful antiseptic that is still gentle for your brushes. Just these few ingredients are effective enough to clean your makeup brushes.
- 1 cup castile soap
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 drops lemon essential oil
- 4 drops of lavender essential oil
- 8 drops tea tree essential oil
- Pour all of your ingredients into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and mix them together thoroughly.
- Wet all of your brushes, facing them down under the sink.
- Add a small amount of the makeup brush cleanser (a little goes a long way) to a small dish and a little bit of warm water.
- Wash each brush in the cleanser in a circular motion and gently squeeze out any excess dirt.
- Rinse your brushes out well afterward and pat dry once you are finished.
- Leave your brushes to dry overnight on a clean cloth.
- Voilá! Your clean makeup brush awaits.
Make sure to keep your cleanser in a cool spot and it should last up to a couple of months if you use it on a consistent basis.
Recipe inspired by Dr. Axe.