Everyone loves bath bombs right? How can you not enjoy the decadent little fizzling balls that make your ordinary bath feel like you just took a trip to the spa? Even though bath bombs can be hard to resist, the average working adult might find it hard to indulge in a warm bath when they have hundreds of obligations to attend to. For these individuals who are short on time but want the benefits of a bath bomb, a shower steamer might be worth a try.
Shower steamers have become recently popular among students, parents, people in the workforce and health enthusiast alike. Some would even go as far as comparing the use of shower steamers to a private aromatherapy session. But what makes them so popular?
What Are Shower Steamers?
Shower steamers are small and fizzy discs that you put in the back of your shower. As it fizzes, it releases essential oils that flow up into your shower steam, giving you an aromatherapeutic atmosphere that can help calm you after a stressful day or wake you up in the morning to start a new one.
Herbal steams have been used all over the world by many ancient civilizations. From the Mayans to the Romans to the Native Americans, steam baths have been utilized for more than just ancient beauty regimens, they were used for their healing and rejuvenating properties.
Ancient herbalists used to breathe in the plant’s essential oils from the air along with other herbal concoctions to help relieve congestion, relax the muscles and even soothe the mind and body.
How to Make a Shower Steamer?
Today, shower steamers are primarily used for their calming effects, but you must be careful with store-bought bath bombs and shower steamers because they will often contain toxic ingredients that can do more harm than good.
Most people don’t realize it, but the shower steamers you know and love can actually be hurting with synthetic fragrances, talcum powder, parabens and glitter, which is why you should really consider making shower steamers yourself with ingredients that you can actually pronounce and trust.
This recipe only has four simple ingredients that are both beneficial for your skin and easy on your wallet. What’s even better about this recipe is that with these simple ingredients you are able to formulate your shower steamers to your liking, whether it’s an energizing or a calming shower steamer.
Follow this recipe below to make your very own shower steamer out of the comfort of your own home.
Easy Shower Steamer Recipe
- 2 cups of baking soda
- 1 cup citric acid
- Witch hazel
- Essential oils
- Muffin pan (preferably silicone)
- Add citric acid and baking soda into a bowl and mix until it is completely blended.
- Mix the essential oils of your choosing. You can use up to 2 teaspoons full or 24 drops. Stir in and make sure everything is combined. If you want to add color, now is the time to do so.
- Lightly spray the surface of the mixture with witch hazel and stir it once again. Continue spraying until you have a wet sand-like consistency. Just make sure not to spray too much or you will activate your shower steamer before you get a chance to use them.
- Add mixture into the muffin pans and press it firmly with the back of a spoon or your hands to make sure it’s fully packed.
- Let them dry and then remove them from the muffin pan
- Make sure to store them in an airtight container.
This recipe is inspired by My Frugal Home