Have you ever had those moments when you have the perfect outfit picked out and you get all dolled up for a night on the town but notice your hair just looks dry and lifeless? Even though you’re dressed to impress, your hair may make you feel like you want to stay at home.
Don’t let your dry hair stop you from enjoying your night out. The main contributing factor to not getting the most out of your hairdo is damaged hair. Think of your hair as you would a flower — too much heat, water and a change in the environment can wreak havoc on your hair and prevent it from growing.
What Causes Hair Damage?
Hair damage or breakage has a variety of causes. Having healthy hair depends on the inner cuticle with overlapping scales that keep your strands together. When these scales fall apart, your hair can become dry and separate, resulting in hair damage, which can cause symptoms like frizz and dryness.
Contributing factors to breakage and hair damage might include:
- Excessive washing
- Heat damage
- Brushing wet hair
- Towel drying
- Coloring your hair
- Extensions and weaves
The good news is all these contributing factors can be easily remedied by a simple hair mask that you’ll only need one ingredient for.
Easy Moisturizing Hair Mask
This moisturizing hair mask contains no toxic or harsh additives or ingredients, so you can use it as much as you please and it won’t break the bank. What’s also great about this hair mask is it only has one creamy ingredient, can you guess what it is?
It’s coconut milk, canned full fat coconut milk.
Coconut milk is high in protein, and since your hair is primarily made up of protein you could say that these two are the perfect match. You can also add argan oil to it, which helps smooth split ends and adds a shine to your hair.
Coconuts are also high in saturated fats and are an amazing emulsifier that will help restore damaged hair. As a matter of fact, women in Indonesia wash their hair with coconut milk for its deep conditioning qualities.
Try this simple one-ingredient hair mask that’ll revive your dull tresses in minutes.
- 1 can of coconut milk (fat full)
- 1 Tbsp of argan oil (optional)
- Allow the coconut milk to sit in the fridge for a least an hour. The cool temperature thickens the coconut cream and separates it from the coconut water.
- Remove the cream from the coconut water, place it in a cold bowl and add argan oil (optional).
- Use a mixer to whip the coconut cream until it becomes a fluffy and creamy-like consistency.
- Apply to unwashed hair and cover it with a shower cap to allow your hair to absorb the moisture. Leave it on for a least 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with your favorite shampoo and style as desired.
This hair mask is gentle enough to use as much as you like. It will last up to a week when kept in the fridge, so make sure to use it before it goes bad. This recipe isn’t recommended for anyone who is allergic to coconuts.
Recipe inspired by Farah Dhukai
Looking for another hair mask recipe? Try this Ayurvedic hair mask.