After going to the Natural Products Expo and looking at all of the organic products that were made from all natural ingredients, we were inspired to create something of our own. We were particularly inspired by the handcrafted organic lip balm made by Bee Bella’s. It had a captivating tropical aroma made up of coconut and pomegranate that we adored.
Even though Bee Bella’s lip balm was beautifully handcrafted and hydrating for the lips, we figured it would be fun to create our own DIY version at home. So, whether you’re trying to step-up your lip care regimen or trying to find crafty gift ideas this spring, give this DIY lip balm tutorial a try. It’s simple, easy, and only needs 5 ingredients!
How To Make Your Own Natural Lip Balm
Making your own lip balm is a great way to customize your lip balm to any aroma or flavoring that you want. If you follow the tutorial below, you’ll end up with a natural lip balm that will leave your lips feeling moisturized all day.
What You Will Need:
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax
- 6 tablespoons of essential butters (any combination of shea butter, cocoa butter, mango butter, coffee butter, or avocado butter)
- 2 tablespoons of carrier oils (any combination of coconut oil, grapeseed oil, tamanu oil, or sweet almond oil)
- 15-30 drops of essential oils (lavender, mint, lemon, pineapple, etc)
- Double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a small pot of simmering water
- Glass Dropper (optional)
- To your double boiler or heatproof bowl, add all of your lip balm ingredients except for the essential oils.
- Stir the ingredients together with the spatula. Once your ingredients have been melted and blended together well, turn off the heat.
- Stir in the essential oils.
- Fill containers or jars with your mixture. If your lip balm begins to harden in the bowl and you find it difficult to transfer to the containers or jars, simply reheat the lip balm mixture until it softens up again.
- Let the lip balm mixture rest in the jars/containers for a couple of hours, or until it completely hardens.
Making your own lip balm is a fun and rewarding project you can do at home. Not only will it help you keep your lips moisturized, but depending on the ingredients you use, you can also help plump your lips and improve the overall look of your lips altogether.
Notes: To make a thicker lip balm, try adding more beeswax your mixture. If you want a glossier lip balm, then use less beeswax.