As more of us become aware of the strain high impact workouts have on our joints, it comes as a relief to know that we can still benefit from low impact workouts to give our joints a much-needed break from running and other high-intensity exercises.
If you’re worried about whether low impact exercises will give you a good workout, don’t be. Low impact exercises such as swimming or walking are extremely healthy and effective in increasing your heart rate and can help you maintain your fitness routine.
Best At-Home Low Impact Exercises to Try
If getting into the car and heading to your fitness studio sounds a bit daunting, your home can be a great space to maintain your fitness routine.
1. Butterfly Squats
- Standing with your feet a little wider than hip-width distance apart, keep your toes pointed out and place your arms beside you.
- Slowly lower your body down to squat and raise your arms in front of your chest to make them parallel to the floor.
- As you prepare to stand, lower your arms beside your sides and quickly extend them overhead as you lift your heels off the ground.
- quickly come back to the starting position and continue to repeat this exercise as fast as you can.
- Continue to perform this exercise for about 45 seconds.
- Be careful not to jump as this is a low impact workout and you are not trying to put any strain on your knees.
2. Boat Pose
- Get into an easy seated position with your knees bent and your feet planted on the floor.
- Slowly lean back and lift your legs and feet of the floor to make your shins parallel to the floor.
- Lift your arms until they are about shoulder height and extend them straight out in front of you with your palms facing down towards the mat.
- You have the option to straighten your legs or keep your knees bent.
- Hold this position for about 20 seconds.
3. Triceps Extensions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width distance apart and hold a light dumbbell with both your hands.
- Lift your arms and bend your elbows to bring the dumbbell over your head to reach the nape of your neck. Make sure to relax your shoulders and keep them down.
- With your upper arms in place and your core tight lift and lower the dumbbell to perform the triceps extensions.
- Continue this exercise for about 45 seconds.
4. Plank Jacks
- Get into a high plank position with your shoulders in line with your hips and your palms facing down on the mat.
- With your core tight and engaged, gently jump your feet outside the mat and bring them back in.
- Continue plank jacks for about 30 seconds.
5. No Jump Burpees
- Get into a standing position with your feet hip-width distance apart and your arms extended towards the ceiling.
- Bend your knees to lower your body into a squat, with a gentle push of your hips towards the back of the room.
- Bring your palms to the floor and gently extend your legs to get into a high plank position.
- Bend your elbows to lower down into a pushup and push back up to the squatting position.
- As you return to the standing position, extend your arms to complete 1 rep.
- Continue this exercise for at least 30 seconds.
1. What are the different low impact exercises to burn fat?
Low impact exercises such as walking, swimming, rowing, and cycling are great workouts that burn a ton of calories and help to reduce fat.