Who says you can’t burn calories at home? While the home has the tendency to make us feel lazy, it can also be a great place to squeeze a good workout in. Get your favorite pair of running shoes on and let’s get some cardio in for the day.
Whether you’re trying to shed a couple pounds or wanting to tone a certain part of your body, cardio workouts are excellent for your health.
Benefits of cardio include the following:
- Improves heart health
- Reduces stress
- Promotes sleep
- Reduces risks of developing certain cancers
- Increases bone density
- Boosts self-confidence
At-Home Cardio Exercises
With your best workout songs playing in the background, the following cardio exercises will really work up a sweat.
The exercise that everyone loves to hate, burpees will get your heart rate up and improve overall strength.
- Start by standing with your feet hip-width distance apart and lower down to bring your palms to the ground.
- Jump your feet back to get into a high plank position with your shoulders stacked above your wrists, your core tight and your hips lifted.
- Bend your elbows and perform a push-up.
- Immediately step both feet to the outside of your wrists and explode into a high jump, clapping your hands as you get to the top.
- Return to the starting position and repeat this exercise as fast as you can for 45 seconds.
2. High Knees
High knees help to enhance endurance and develop strength in the legs, specifically the quads.
- Start by standing hip-width distance apart with your hands by your sides as if you’re going on a run.
- Lift one knee at a time as high as you can and as fast as you can.
- Continue performing high knees for about 60 seconds.
3. Mountain Climbers
Mountain climbers are one exercise you don’t want to skip out on. Not only do they tone your physique, this exercise strengthens your core and burns fat.
- Start in a high plank position with your shoulders stacked above your wrists and your hips in line with your shoulders.
- Bring your right knee to your left elbow and return your foot back to the starting position.
- Now bring your left knee to your right elbow and bring it back.
- Continue this exercise with explosive moves as if you are running for about 45 seconds.
- Opt to bring your knees to the opposite elbow to add a challenge to your workout.
4. Jumping Jacks
A whole body movement that gets your heart rate up, jumping jacks are a simple yet effective workout that you can do almost anywhere.
- Start with your feet close together and your hands by your sides.
- Jump your feet out and bring your hands overhead, or into a clap.
- Immediately bring your feet and hands back to the starting position.
- Perform jumping jacks for 60 seconds.
5. Squat Jumps
Get the benefits of squatting and jumping with this powerful movement, all while you’re at home!
- Start with your feet about six inches apart, toes pointed toward the front.
- Lower down to squat, making sure that your knees are behind your toes.
- Immediately jump up as fast and high as you can.
- Gently land on your feet and repeat the exercise for about 45 seconds.
1. What are some effective cardio exercises to do at home?
There are numerous exercises that get your heart rate up and build strength. Exercises such as jumping jacks, burpees and squat jumps are excellent cardio exercises that can be done right in your living room.
The content of this Website is for informational purposes only, is general in nature and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and does not constitute professional advice. The information on this Website should not be considered as complete and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions, or their treatment. You should consult with your physician before beginning any exercise, weight loss, or health care program and/or any of the beauty treatments.
Tucker, A. (2016, December 30). A Sweaty 24-Minute Cardio Workout You Can Do In Your Living Room. Retrieved from https://www.self.com/story/a-sweaty-24-minute-cardio-workout-you-can-do-in-your-living-room