With summer just a few months away, there’s no better time to focus on your health and start a new fitness routine. Practicing a beach body workout like the one shared here will help you get in shape by the time the warm weather arrives and it’s time to throw on that bikini.
Spring Workouts to Get You Beach Body Ready
The following workouts are simple repetitions you can introduce into your fitness routine to tone your body and burn fat. These workouts can be split up and practiced after your regular cardio regimen, or you can alternate between cardio days and days where you just commit to these toning workouts. Best of all, you don’t need any equipment to do any of these workouts!
Belly Blaster: Core Workout
It’s easy to pack on weight around the belly, especially during the winter when oversize sweaters are there to hide any excess weight. If you’re looking to reveal some hidden abs in the tummy area, try this routine:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent in towards your chest and your hands behind your head.
- Bring your right elbow in towards your left knee as your right leg stretches straight out.
- Switch to the other side by taking your left leg out, bending your right knee in towards your chest as your left elbow comes forward to meet your right knee.
- Repeat these movements, alternating between sides, for 20 repetitions. Then repeat the entire set 3 times.
Note: Make sure you’re using your abdomen muscles to lift your elbows in and stabilize your legs. Do not put any strain on your neck by using your neck muscles to lift your head up.
Lunges: Lower Body Workout
If you’re concerned about firming up the gluteus maximus and toning the thighs, then you’ll want to practice a lower body workout that will target these areas. Lunges can be excellent for this, especially if you do both side and rear lunges.
- Stand with your feet together and your arms by your sides. Take your right leg out to the side, bending the right knee to create a side lunge. Your left leg should remain straight and extended.
- With your hips sticking out behind you, clasp your hands together in front of you.
- Bring your body back into the start position, with your feet together and arms by your sides before moving your right leg behind you, bending both knees into 90° angles to create a low rear lunge.
- Repeat the lunges, alternating between sides of the body for each repetition. Do 20 repetitions for each side and 3 sets of repetitions total.
Note: Try not to bend your knee in front of your ankle when you are doing a side or rear lunge. Doing so can put excess pressure on the knees rather than working out the buttocks and thigh muscles.
Push-Up to Plank: Arm Workout
With sleeveless tees becoming the norm during the warm weather season, nicely toned arms are a common goal among those getting in shape. This push-up to plank workout will not only get your arms in shape, they’ll simultaneously strengthen your core too; that’s two for one!
- Get yourself into a modified push-up position, with your chest and knees touching the floor, hands positioned on the floor below your shoulders, elbows bent, and your toes tucked in.
- Lift your upper body up so that your arms are extended straight, then lift your knees so they are no longer touching the floor and your legs are extended straight out behind you. Keep a neutral spine and hold this plank position for 1 count.
- Gently lower your knees back down and return to the modified push-up position. Practice this push-up to plank move for 10 repetitions, and a total of 3 sets.
Note: For an even more challenging workout, do regular push-ups rather than modified ones, where your knees never touch the floor.
Single-Leg Calf Raises: Leg Workout
If you’re dreaming of toned calves you can show off in that cute sundress and those tie-up wedges, then this calf workout is for you.
- Begin by standing with your legs hip-width apart. Put your hands on your hips, then lift your right knee up so that it’s hip level. Keep your toes pointed.
- While your right knee is bent up at your hips, lift your left heel up so that you’re balancing your weight on the ball of your left foot. Hold this position for 3 seconds, then repeat another 10 times.
- Alternate to the other side of the body, repeating 10 times for that side as well. Do the entire set a total of 3 times.
Note: You can also hold your hands behind your head or behind your back if you find that position easier to balance yourself.
Marturana, A. (2017, December 21). 13 No-Equipment Leg Exercises You Can Do at Home. Retrieved March 12, 2018, from https://www.self.com/gallery/killer-legs-no-gear-required-slideshow
Editors, S. (2015, December 10). 4 Weeks to Fit: Shape Up for Spring! Retrieved March 12, 2018, from https://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/4-weeks-fit-shape-spring