It’s time to put your calves to work and strengthen your lower body. While we’re not necessarily calling it leg day, this workout is all about strengthening and working on your lower body, which means your calves, hamstrings, quads and glutes are going to get a workout all with dumbbells.
Take a break from complicated equipment and grab a pair of trusted dumbbells. If you haven’t been using dumbbells in your workout, now is your chance to get back to it and reap the benefits that dumbbells have to offer.
Lower Body Dumbbell Workout
Let’s get to stepping and put your lower body to work with the following exercises. Remember, no pain, no gain.
1. Dumbbell Lunges
Perform this exercise for three sets with a total of 12 reps each and take a break as you need to.
- Hold a light or heavy dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet hip-width distance apart, arms beside you.
- Step your right leg forward and bend your knee at 90 degrees to perform a lunge. Keep your back straight and shoulders back.
- Bring your back leg forward and lunge with your left leg this time.
2. Dumbbell Squats
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand with your feet about six inches apart and your toes pointed outward.
- Keep your core tight and engaged and push your hips back as you lower down to squat, bending your knees.
- Hold the squat for 1 second and explosively push back up.
3. Dumbbell Step-Ups
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand across from a bench.
- Step one foot on the bench and bend your knee to 90 degrees, keeping the other leg firm and straight. Make sure your shoulders are back and your chest is lifted.
- Shift your weight on your top foot and push up to lift your body over the bench as you keep your back leg suspended in the air.
- Push your hips back to lower your support leg back on the ground.
- Repeat switching legs each time.
4. Dumbbell Cross Behind Lunges
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width distance apart and your palms facing each other, grasping onto a dumbbell.
- Take a big step back and cross your leg behind the front foot as you lower your hips.
- Bend your back knee to lower down to the floor and keep your shin straight.
- Push back to the starting position and switch sides.
5. Dumbbell Deadlifts
- Stand with your feet hip-width distance apart with a slight bend in your knees while holding a dumbbell in each hand in front of your thighs.
- Bend at the hip to lower the dumbbells down, but make sure to keep your back straight.
- Hold the position for 1 second and slowly lift the dumbbells back up to the starting position.
6. Dumbbell Calf Raises
- Stand tall with your feet shoulder-width distance apart and your toes flat on a box. Your heels should be hanging off the edge as you feel your calves stretch.
- Lift your heels to perform a calf raise and hold for 1 second.
- Lower back down to the starting position and repeat.
Workout adapted from muscleandfitness.com.