Having a toned belly is pretty much on all of our wishlists, so why not make it a reality instead of just dreaming about it? Performing 100 crunches and sit-ups every day can leave you feeling bored, however, there are plenty of ways to switch up your ab routine with effective exercises that target your stomach.
While ab workouts are not exactly the easiest exercises to engage in, taking on the challenge with complete dedication to the exercise will only give you positive results in the end. Remember, it’s always the set that you don’t want to do that eventually gets you closer to your fitness goals.
Exercises for a Flat Stomach
Get on your back and get ready to sweat. Here are a few exercises you might want to try to tone and flatten your stomach.
The exciting secret that comes with stomach exercises is that while you’re working on your flat-belly goals, your thighs, glutes, and arms are simultaneously put to work as well.
1. Weighted Bicycle
One of the most effective exercises for your abs, the weighted bicycle will have your abs feeling like they’re on fire to ultimately achieve strength and tone.
- Start by lying on your back with your knees bent.
- Extend both your arms overhead, then bend your left elbow and hold onto your right arm just above the right elbow with your left hand.
- Extend your left leg to hover above the ground and keep your right knee bent with your foot touching the inside of your left leg.
- Start the exercise by lifting your right shoulder and turning it in towards your left leg and simultaneously lift both legs up to 45 degrees. Remember to exhale as you perform this movement and draw your belly deep into your spine as you hit the hardest part of the movement.
- Lower back down to the starting position and repeat for 20 seconds.
- Perform this exercise using the opposite side for 20 seconds to even out both sides.
2. Pike and Extend
Target your abs and legs with the pike and extend exercise.
- Lie down on your yoga mat with your legs extended over your hips.
- Extend your arms towards your ankles or toes and perform a crunch as you move your shoulders towards your legs.
- Keeping your legs extended, bring your arms and shoulders back down, and your arms extended overhead.
- As you lower your upper back, simultaneously lower your left leg to hover above the ground.
- Crunch your body up again to bring your arms to your ankles and bring your left leg to extend over your hips.
- Repeat this exercise by alternating your legs each time and continue for 20 seconds.
A popular exercise that people love to hate, burpees will get your heart rate up and help you build the abs of your dreams.
- Stand tall with your feet shoulder-width apart and lower your body towards the ground to place your palms on the floor.
- Once in this position, kick your legs and feet back on your mat and get into a push-up position.
- Immediately jump both feet to land outside your palms and explode into a high jump as you stand up.
- As you jump, extend your arms overhead to clap and lower back down again to repeat this exercise.
- Perform this exercise for about 30 seconds.
4. Seated Leg U’s
Put your entire abdominal muscles to work during this intense ab work out. This exercise is challenging but effective in meeting your goals.
- Start in a seated position with your knees bents and your hands placed on the floor beside your hips.
- Lean back and bend your elbows onto the floor while extending your legs away from your body.
- The movement should feel like you are trying to trace the letter “U” with your body.
- Lean back so your elbows can touch the floor at the bottom of your U, then quickly sit up as you finish. This will be 1 rep.
- Repeat this exercise 20 times.
1. What are the effective ways to lose belly fat?
A few effective ways of reducing belly fat include a diet rich in protein and fiber. Sugar should be avoided and try to cut back on your carb intake. Besides maintaining a healthy diet, regular exercise can promote weight loss and help you lose belly fat.
The content of this Website is for is for informational purposes only, is general in nature and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and does not constitute professional advice. The information on this Website should not be considered as complete and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions, or their treatment. You should consult with your physician before beginning any exercise, weight loss, or health care program and/or any of the beauty treatments.
Men’s Health. (2018, April 09). The 10 Best Exercises For a Flat Belly. Retrieved from https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/g19546164/10-flat-belly-exercises/?slide=2
Get a Flat Belly in 10 Minutes. (2016, November 05). Retrieved from https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/abs/express/get-a-flat-belly/?page=1
Smith, J. (2015, December 10). 10 Flat-Abs Moves. Retrieved from https://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/10-moves-flat-stomach