Get your outdoor fitness on and head outside for a strenuous yet exciting workout that will leave you feeling energized and happy all day long. All you need is 30 minutes of your time and your backyard or a park and you’re all set to challenge yourself on a new terrain.
Outdoor workouts have proved to burn more fat and boost overall self-esteem. Mother nature has given us the beautiful gift of the outdoors for us to take advantage of and keep our fitness game strong.
Not only will you feel your muscles getting toned, but you will also burn about 260 calories in the process.
30-Minute Outdoor Workout
Start your workout off with a warm-up that includes a light jog or brisk walking for at least five minutes to prepare and loosen up your muscles.
1. Side Leaps
- Stand with your feet together and bend your knees to prepare to hop.
- Hop as far to the right as you can, landing softly on the ball of your right foot. Do not return your left foot to the ground.
- Bend your right knee and hop to the left.
- Hop 20 times on each side.
2. Triceps Dips
- Stand with your back facing a bench and bend your knees to lower down to place the palms of your hand on the bench.
- Bend your elbows to bring your upper arms parallel to the ground.
- Push straight up to return to the starting position, making sure to keep your lower back as close to the bench as possible.
- Perform 12 to 15 reps.
3. Bench Push-Ups
- Facing a park bench, place your palms on the seat and walk your feet out.
- Bend your elbows and lower down to perform the push-up.
- Perform 12 reps.
- Turn around to place our hands on the ground and this time place your feet on the bench. Walk your hands out until they are stacked under your shoulders.
- Lower down to perform a push-up.
- Perform 8 reps.
- Try to reach up to 20 reps of each exercise.
4. Tightrope Walk
- Find a tree or even the pathway and raise your arms out to the side.
- Pretend to walk on a tightrope and balance yourself until you reach the end.
- Turn to walk in the opposite direction.
- Perform tightrope walks for 3 minutes.
5. Side Shuffle
- Stand with your feet hip-width distance apart and turn your hands into a fist. Bend your elbows to place your fists near your ribs.
- Take three big steps to the right and slide your left foot to meet the right.
- Bend your knees to jump and turn to face the opposite side.
- Repeat side shuffles to the left.
- Continue this exercise while alternating sides for 60 seconds.
6. Side Steps
- Stand with your ride side facing a step or a log.
- Extend your arms out to the sides and bend your elbow to bring it to 90 degrees, palms facing forward.
- Use your right foot to step up and keep your abs tight and engaged as you lift your left knee and bring your right elbow in front.
- Return to the starting position and perform 12 reps. Switch sides.
- Step your left foot on a step or log and lift your right leg backward.
- Step back down and repeat using the opposite leg.
- Then, use your left leg to step up, raising the right leg diagonally behind you. Switch sides to repeat.
- Use your left foot to step up and kick your right foot out, switch sides to repeat.
- Perform this entire cycle 26 times.
8. Hanging Crunches
- Grab on to a sturdy branch or monkey bars with your palms facing forward.
- Your arms should be fully extended and as you exhale, bend your knees to bring them toward your belly.
- Inhale to release.
- Try to perform as many reps as you can, getting up to 12 reps.
9. Slalom Jumps
- Make a zig-zag pattern with rocks or pebbles keeping about 1.5 feet between each rock.
- Place your feet together and hop to the outside of each rock or pebble.
- Turn around and repeat this exercise for 60 seconds.
Workout adapted from fitnessmagazine.com.