Strength training exercises are one of the best exercises you can do for your body. Not only are you working toward building strong muscles, but you are also boosting overall flexibility and building strength to protect your body as you age. The best part, strength training can be done with fun objects and to get into the spirit of fall, let’s work out with a pumpkin!
As the weather cools down and the scenery shifts to the red and gold hue of falling leaves, it comes as no surprise that we want to spend all our time outdoors with a pumpkin spiced latte in our hands.
Now’s the time to make an excuse to stay out of the gym and move your workout outdoors with fall’s favorite food — the pumpkin.
Pumpkin Workout to Build Muscle and Boost Strength
It’s time to get your heart pumping and get you going on a fun fall-inspired workout using pumpkins.
Warm-Up: 5–7 minutes
Spend five to seven minutes to warm up and prepare your muscles. Perform cardio exercises such as jumping jacks and high knees to increase your heart rate.
Main Workout: 3 sets of each exercise
Pumpkin Lunges and Curls, 10 reps
- Stand with your feet hip-width distance apart and take a big step forward.
- Bend your knees to stack your front knee over your ankle and keep your core tight and engaged.
- As you come back up from the lunge, perform a bicep curl with your pumpkin in one hand.
- Repeat for five reps on one side and then switch to perform the same exercise on the opposite side.
Pumpkin Press, 10 reps
- Stand with your feet hip-width distance apart and hold the pumpkin with both hands.
- Extend your arms overhead to press the pumpkin up and as you inhale, lower the pumpkin to bring it in line with your chest.
- Repeat exercise in slow and controlled movements.
Pumpkin Squats, 10 reps
- Stand with your feet about hip-width distance apart and hold the pumpkin with both hands.
- Bend your knees to lower down to squat and bring the pumpkin down with you. Make sure your hips are pushed back. You should be able to see all 10 toes and your knees should be behind your toes.
- As you come back up, bring the pumpkin in line with your chest or over your head for an extra challenge to your exercise.
Single Leg Pumpkin Rows, 10 reps on each leg
- Stand with one leg behind you and lower down to perform a lunge. Bend forward slightly and hold the pumpkin with both hands, just below the knees.
- Exhale to squeeze your shoulder blades and bring the pumpkin into your belly with control.
- Extend your arms out to bring the pumpkin back out.
- Repeat for 10 reps before switching to the opposite side.
Pumpkin Bridges, 30 seconds
- Place the pumpkin under your heels and lay flat on your back. Your toes should be flexed upward. Hold another pumpkin with both hands.
- Lift your hips off the floor and raise them as high as you can while simultaneously extending your arms up with the pumpkin.
- As you lower your hips back down, bring the pumpkin down and across your chest.
Pumpkin Plank, 60 seconds
- Place the pumpkin in front of you and place your hands on the pumpkin.
- Jump your legs out straight and back and position your body so that your hips are in line with your shoulders.
- Your core should be tight and engaged and your neck is long.
- Hold this position for 60 seconds.
Cool Down: 5 minutes
Perform post-workout stretching exercises to cool down and stretch your muscles for five minutes.
Workout adapted from fitnessista.com.