Yoga has the power to heal you, promote physical strength, induce relaxation and treat symptoms of various ailments and conditions. Another benefit of yoga is that specific poses are designed to boost brain power and supercharge your brain for improved function.
Balancing a million different responsibilities and constantly spreading yourself too thin doesn’t do you a lot of good. While you’re hustling to be your best self, it’s only natural to need a break every once in a while to rejuvenate the mind in order to avoid a burnout.
If you’ve been feeling like your mind is all over the place and your anxiety has been acting up lately, take the time to practice some yoga to put your mind at ease and recharge your brain to get you back to hustling in the best way you can.
Supercharge Your Brain With Yoga
Roll out your mat and create your safe space. Focus on your breath and get going with the following yoga poses to recharge and boost your brain power.
1. Lotus Pose
- In an easy seated position, bring the soles of your feet together, heels pressed together. Grab onto your ankles and open up your knees to the sides.
- Inhale to lengthen your spine and bring your right leg up, so your left knee comes close to your body. Place your right foot on your left thigh, sole facing up.
- Bring your left leg up and over to the right, making sure to rotate from the hip.
- Place your left foot on your right thigh with the sole facing up. Make sure your spine is lengthened and your knees are open and toward the floor.
- Hold this lotus pose for at least five breaths.
2. Big Toe Pose
Big toe pose is great to promote blood circulation and improve blood flow to the brain.
- Stand tall with your feet hip-width distance apart.
- Exhale to bend forward from the hips and reach out to touch your toes with your index and middle fingers of each hand.
- Wrap your fingers around the toes and press your big toes firmly onto your mat.
- As you inhale, lift and lengthen your torso. Focus on your breath and keep your muscles relaxed.
- Hold this pose for 30 seconds and release.
3. Child’s Pose
- Get onto your knees and bend forward with your arms extended out. Spread your knees wide apart and sink your hips down onto the mat.
- Give your body a good stretch and reach your arms out as far as you can.
- Rest your forehead on the mat and focus on your breath. Sink your hips even lower on the mat.
- Hold this pose for at least five breaths.
4. Reclining Hero Pose
Open up the chest and boost circulation to release tension, stress and even combat depression.
- Start by kneeling on your mat.
- Gently lower down with your hips to sit on the mat with your hips placed between your heels.
- Your thighs should be hip-width distance apart and your arms beside you, palms facing up or down. Keep your spine long and relax your body.
- Hold this backbend for at least 30 seconds and release.
5. Plow Pose
- Start by lying on your back with your legs out straight and your arms beside you.
- As you inhale, keep your abs tight and engaged and raise your legs up toward the ceiling and straighten them.
- Slowly lower your toes behind you and try to touch the floor. Use your hands to support your lower back and only go as far as you comfortably can.
- Try to keep your hips and shoulders aligned if you make it all the way through.
- Hold this pose for about five minutes and gently release.
The content of this Website is for informational purposes only, is general in nature and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and does not constitute professional advice. The information on this Website should not be considered as complete and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions, or their treatment. You should consult with your physician before beginning any exercise, weight loss, or health care program and/or any of the beauty treatments.
Achanta, R. (n.d.). 7 Effective Yoga Poses To Increase Your Brain Power. Retrieved from https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/effective-yoga-poses-to-increase-your-brain-power/#gref
McFarland, M. (n.d.). Yoga Poses to Build Your Brain Power. Retrieved from https://yoga.lovetoknow.com/about-yoga/yoga-poses-build-your-brain-power