It’s safe to say that most of us look forward to the weekend — not only because we can finally relax, but also because our comfy couch is waiting for us to binge watch the next 10 episodes of our favorite TV show. Since prolonged sitting on the couch is not widely recommended, why not mix in a little bit of yoga?
Practicing your yoga routine on the couch will not only improve your flexibility and mobility but will also put you in a calm state of mind that will promote a good night’s rest when you’re ready to head to bed.
Yoga Poses on the Couch
Follow these simple poses to enjoy your TV binge and get your blood flow going.
1. Bound Angle Pose
- As you sit on the couch, bend your knees to bring the soles of your feet together to touch. Your knees should be close to the couch, however, if they are higher than your waist, add some blankets for support.
- Lengthen your spine, keeping your neck and shoulders relaxed.
- Press the soles of your feet firmly together and extend your arms to grab on to your ankles. You should feel the stretch in your hips and thighs.
- Hold bound angle pose for as long as you can.
2. Hero Pose
- Kneel on the couch with your knees together and your feet wider than hip-width distance apart.
- Lean forward slightly to grab your calves and pull the calf muscles back and away from your knees to roll them out. Lower your buttocks to sit on the floor.
- Bring your hands to your knees and sit up straight, while lengthening your tailbone to the ground.
- Shift your gaze to a neutral position and hold hero pose for about 60 seconds.
3. Cow Face Pose
- Get into a comfortable position with your legs extended out in front of you and your arms at your sides.
- Slowly bring your left foot underneath your right knee and bring it to the outside of your right hips. Your right knee should be stacked on top of your left hip. Make sure you are sitting evenly.
- Extend your left arm up, toward the ceiling and as you bend your left elbow, bring your hand to your spine.
- Bend your right elbow and bring your right arm toward the center of your back and try to bring your hands together to interlace the fingers.
- Stretch your top elbow toward the ceiling as you simultaneously stretch your lower elbow toward the couch. Make sure to draw your elbows in toward your body. Shift your gaze upward and relax.
- Hold cow face pose for about 60 seconds.
4. Half Cobra Pose
- Lie on your belly on the couch and extend your legs out back. Bring your hands to the front, palms facing down.
- Using your arms, push up to lift your chest off the couch and perform a gentle backbend as you arch your back.
- Hold half cobra pose for 60 seconds and focus on your breathing.
5. Lotus Pose
- As you are seated on the couch, bend your right knee and bring your right ankle to the crease of your left hip with the sole of your foot facing the ceiling.
- Bend your left knee and bring your left ankle over your right shin to rest on the crease of your right hip. The sole of your foot should face the ceiling. Try to bring your knees close and sit upright.
- Bring your hands together to touch or gently rest them on your knees.
- Hold lotus pose for about 60 seconds.
The content of this Website is for informational purposes only, is general in nature and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and does not constitute professional advice. The information on this Website should not be considered as complete and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions, or their treatment. You should consult with your physician before beginning any exercise, weight loss, or health care program and/or any of the beauty treatments.
McClure, E. (2016, May 24). 7 Yoga Poses You Can Do During Your Next Netflix Binge. Retrieved from https://www.simplemost.com/yoga-poses-can-next-netflix-binge/Editors
M. (2017, October 24). Do These 10 Yoga Stretches While You Watch TV. Retrieved from https://www.more.com/lifestyle/exercise-health/do-these-10-yoga-stretches-while-you-watch-tv