When you look at your wrists, you might wonder how these incredibly small joints can perform various movements, carry excess weight and even support our whole body as we perform certain yoga poses. That’s why it’s important to maintain your wrist strength and avoid unnecessary injury.
Our wrists stabilize and align our hands to help control motor activities. Most of us expose our wrists to injury due to constantly extending and exerting them while performing activities such as driving and typing.
With problems such as carpal tunnel and tendonitis on the rise, it’s necessary to take the right precaution and engage in strengthening exercises in order to maintain healthy wrists.
Best Yoga Poses to Strengthen Your Wrists
The following yoga poses will help you strengthen your wrists and improve their stability and mobility in the long run.
1. High Plank Pose
- Get on your hands and knees, stacking your shoulders above your wrists and bring your hips in line with your shoulders.
- Make sure you keep your core tight and engaged and avoid your lower back from arching.
- Distribute your weight evenly throughout your fingers to avoid strain.
- Hold this pose for 60 seconds or for however long you can.
2. Downward Facing Dog
- Start in a high plank pose with your shoulders stacked above your wrists and your hips aligned with your shoulders.
- Tuck your toes and push firmly on your mat with your palms and raise your hips toward the ceiling to arch your back.
- Feel the stretch in your arms and legs and try to bring your heels to touch the mat or as close to touching the mat as you can.
- Hold this pose for a couple of seconds and release.
3. Upward Plank Pose
Upward planks will open up the chest and shoulders while strengthening the arms and legs.
- Sit tall with your legs extended out straight and your arms beside you, palms facing downward beside your hips, fingers pointed toward your toes.
- Evenly distribute your weight throughout your hands and press your mat firmly.
- Gently lift your hips and straighten your arms and legs as your press your hands and feet firmly on the mat.
- Hold this position for about 30 seconds or however long you can.
4. Side Plank Pose
Side planks are excellent for core strength, wrist strength and arm strength.
- Start in high plank position and place your right forearm on the mat, and turn to the right, stacking your legs and feet on top of each other.
- Keeping the core strong and your arm engaged, lift your hips up to balance your weight. Make sure you feel the core muscles being put to work rather than your shoulders.
- Hold this pose for 60 seconds or as long as you comfortably can.
5. Crow Pose
Add a little challenge to your routine and improve overall balance while promoting strength.
- Start on all fours with your palms facing down firmly on the mat, shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly bring your feet toward your wrists, toes almost touching your wrists.
- Bending the elbows, keep your triceps engaged and shift your focus in front of you as you shift your weight on your fingers.
- Lift one foot at a time to balance and press your hips up high. Straighten out your arms for an added challenge.
- Hold this pose for five breaths and release.
The content of this Website is for informational purposes only, is general in nature and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and does not constitute professional advice. The information on this Website should not be considered as complete and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions, or their treatment. You should consult with your physician before beginning any exercise, weight loss, or health care program and/or any of the beauty treatments.
Williams, B. (2016, September 08). 5 Yoga Poses to Strengthen Your Wrists. Retrieved from https://www.yogiapproved.com/yoga/5-yoga-poses-for-strong-and-healthy-wrists/
7 Yoga Poses to Develop Wrist Strength. (2015, July 28). Retrieved from https://www.doyouyoga.com/7-yoga-poses-to-develop-wrist-strength-73785/