When you typically think of adding more greens to your diet, you probably don’t have artichokes in mind. Artichokes, however, are a fantastic ingredient to include in your diet, and a simple way to do that is with this artichoke veggie pizza recipe.
Artichokes are low in saturated fat and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Not only do artichokes help to regulate body functions, but they also fight cancer due to their high antioxidant properties. Artichokes are known to help prevent prostate cancer, leukemia, and breast cancer.
A tasty and healthy vegetable, artichokes are the low key ingredient you need to incorporate into your diet. With this healthy twist, you don’t have to be on your cheat day to enjoy this artichoke veggie pizza recipe.
All the ingredients below can be found at your local grocery store and cooking time is under 30 minutes, depending on how you like your crust. Based on your tastes and preferences, you can always add or replace any ingredient.
Artichoke Veggie Pizza Recipe
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 package of prepared pizza dough (garlic and herb flavor suggested)
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup of garlic marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup of pesto sauce
- 10 chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 can of sliced black olives
- 1/4 can of chopped artichokes
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup chopped kale
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place a large sheet of aluminum foil on a four-sided baking tray. Grease the entire sheet of foil with oil. Olive oil not only adds a little flavor but will allow the dough to slide off the sheet once baked.
- Place the dough on the sheet and flatten it out into either a circular shape or rectangular shape.
- Add the garlic marinara sauce and the pesto sauce to cover the dough, then follow with the mozzarella cheese. You can choose how much or how little you want to add.
- Once you are happy with the sauce and cheese, add the chopped tomatoes and black olives.
- Time for the greens! Take the chopped artichokes and spread them over the dough followed by a handful of spinach and kale. Feel free to be generous with the spinach and kale as they will shrink when they bake.
- Pop the pizza into the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes. If after 20 minutes the dough seems soft, bake for another 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure to check it regularly if you decide to add more baking time.
Note: Once removed from the oven, finish off the pizza on a grill or toaster oven for a crisper crust.