We’ve all ended up in the scenario where you find yourself with a few overly ripe bananas that you’re going to need to toss soon. But before you think about getting rid of those brown, splotchy bananas, consider making this healthy banana bread recipe.
Banana bread loves nothing more than super ripe bananas, as their sweetness and texture is what makes banana bread so very irresistible. A healthy banana bread recipe like this will give you a fragrant loaf with a tender crumb — all without the white flour and processed sugar.
You can make this healthy banana bread recipe in a classic loaf pan, or you can turn them into muffins by baking them inside a muffin tin.
The prep for this healthy banana bread recipe is quick and easy; a one-bowl type of recipe. While banana bread tends to take longer to bake than cake or cookies, the end result is so very worth your patience.
You can enjoy this healthy banana bread for breakfast, a mid-day snack, or even dessert! We recommend topping it with a thin layer of butter as a tasty way to start your morning.
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
yields 1 loaf
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 1/2 medium or 2 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup milk, almond milk, or water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a 1 lb. loaf pan.
- To a large, microwave-safe bowl, add the coconut oil and honey (or maple syrup). Whisk the two together before adding in the eggs, bananas, and milk. Whisk everything to combine. If the coconut oil solidifies upon contact with the other ingredients, pop the bowl in the microwave for just 10 seconds and no longer.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt, and ground cinnamon. Again whisk everything to blend together.
- Pour in the whole wheat flour and swap out your whisk for a wooden spoon. Stir the flour into the batter, just until it’s incorporated. Some small lumps are OK — you just don’t want to over-mix your batter.
- Transfer the batter to your greased loaf pan and bake the bread for approximately 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before flipping out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate