Everybody loves a good pizza, right? It seems like pizza transcends cultures and garners fans from all over the world, and we’d comment that this is rightfully so. With this low-carb pizza recipe, you can enjoy this world-favorite dish without the excessive carbs or guilt that typically come with eating pizza.
Pizza, in its most simple version, is made with an all-purpose flour dough for the crust, then topped with tomato sauce and cheese. It’s usually not a recommended dish for someone looking for a low-carb meal, as the pizza dough is baked into a bread (a carb-heavy component).
To get around this, these 10-minute portobello pizzas are created using large portobello mushrooms as the base for the pizza rather than a classic dough. If you enjoy mushrooms, you’ll have no problem with this substitution as it makes for an equally delicious meal.
Toppings can include whatever you like, whether that includes mini pepperonis, olives, or diced peppers, it’s all up to your personal preference. The other bonus to this recipe is that it comes together very quickly. You’ll be enjoying scrumptious portobello pizzas in just about 10 minutes!
Low-Carb Pizza Recipe
- 6 portobello mushrooms caps, stems removed, rinsed and dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 6 tsp Italian seasoning (or blend of dried oregano and basil), divided
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce (your preference)
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Mini pepperonis (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Turn on your oven’s broil setting on high heat. In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic and 4 teaspoons of the Italian seasoning together. Use a pastry brush to apply this mixture to the rounded bottoms of each mushroom. Place these mushrooms (oil-side down) on a greased baking sheet.
- Fill the hollow part of each mushroom with approximately 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce, 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella, and a small handful of mini pepperonis.
- Set the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and broil just until the cheese has melted and is slightly golden. Before serving, sprinkle the remaining Italian seasoning over the top with a small pinch of salt and pepper, to taste.