If you’re a fan of breakfast sandwiches, then you’ve probably been missing them while you’re on the keto diet. A low-carb breakfast usually doesn’t entail those delicious English muffins you’re used to enjoying your eggs and sausage with.
This keto egg sandwich recipe is an easy, low-carb workaround to a classic egg breakfast sandwich. Rather than use bread in this egg sandwich, the egg becomes the component that holds this sandwich together.
In between lies sausage (or bacon) and any other ingredients you want in your breakfast sandwich. We personally love including some mashed avocado in our sandwich for extra flavor and creamy texture.
To create the perfect, round “bun” shape, the eggs are cooked in mason jar lids (with the centers removed). The hollow lids are placed in a skillet, and each whisked egg is added inside the lids. The eggs end up cooking in the round shape of the lids, making them a low-carb, keto-friendly substitute for English muffins.
Low-Carb Breakfast: Keto Egg Sandwich Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 patty of cooked sausage or 1 strip of crispy bacon
- 1/4 ripe avocado, mashed (optional)
- Place a medium, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray. Place 2 hollow mason jar lids (centers removed) into the skillet.
- Crack each egg open into its own small bowl and whisk to break up the yolks. Once the pan is hot, pour each egg into each lid.
- Stream a little bit of water into the pan, surrounding the jar lids, but being careful not to get any water inside the lids. Cover the pan with a lid and allow the eggs to steam cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until they’re set.
- Apply mashed avocado to one egg, add the sausage or bacon, then top with the remaining egg.
Notes: Alternatively, you can bake the eggs in greased ramekins and pop the eggs out of the ramekins before creating the sandwich with them.
Recipe adapted from Delish.com