Have You Heard of Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Diet?

If you love to experiment with new diets, here’s one for you to try. The primal blueprint (PB) diet is a relatively new entrant to the array of diet trends and was developed by Mark Sisson, a top athlete, fitness expert and blogger.

What Is the Primal Blueprint Diet?

Every diet plan that exists involves making at least a few adjustments to your current diet and lifestyle to incorporate the guidelines of the new diet. Similarly, the PB diet developed by Mark Sisson is defined as a diet based on the lifestyle of our ancestors.

It focuses on consuming mostly raw and minimally processed foods like unpasteurized dairy, fruits and vegetables. The plan includes cooked meats but recommends avoiding prepackaged meats and foods that might have additives like preservatives.

The reason for avoiding processed foods is to reduce the intake of processed sugar; this can often increase the chances of losing weight and regulating blood sugar levels. Apart from processed and packaged foods, the PB diet also excludes grains like wheat and corn, which were not available to our primitive ancestors.

A lot of research has gone into the development of the PB diet and it was found that we, unfortunately, consume extreme amounts of processed foods, which may be linked to weight gain and other health issues. The primitive man was not familiar with french fries and ice cream, and according to Mark, we should try to avoid those kinds of foods from our diets, to be fit and healthy.

Eat This and Not That on the PB Diet

While the principles of the PB diet may seem very similar to the popular paleo trend, there are some subtle differences between the two diet programs. While the paleo diet does not encourage dairy, coffee and nightshade vegetables like eggplants, peppers and tomatoes, the PB diet allows raw dairy, coffee and all types of vegetables.

Like with any diet though, it is important to figure out a balance so that the body gets all the essential macronutrients for optimum energy, muscle building and overall sustenance.

Foods allowed on the PB diet:

  • Raw honey
  • Natural maple syrup
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Fish
  • Wild rice
  • Quinoa
  • Raw dairy products
  • Meats

Foods not allowed on the PB diet:

The PB diet may benefit individuals with:

Mark recommends sticking to an 80-20 plan, which means that if you follow the diet for 80 percent of the time, the remaining 20 percent can be used for an impromptu dinner with your friends or a piece of cake at your child’s birthday party, as long as you don’t go overboard with the allowance.

Have You Heard of Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Diet?

Though the benefits of the PB diet are still being studied, there is some evidence that this diet may be beneficial for our overall health. But just as with other diet plans and exercise routines, it is advisable to talk to your healthcare professional before starting a new diet.

The content of this Website is for informational purposes only, is general in nature and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and does not constitute professional advice. The information on this Website should not be considered as complete and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions, or their treatment. You should consult with your physician before beginning any exercise, weight loss, or health care program and/or any of the beauty treatments.


Remember the 80/20 Principle. (2014, January 28). Retrieved from https://www.marksdailyapple.com/remember-the-80-20-principle/

How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint. (2016, December 12). Retrieved from https://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/

Fletcher, J. (n.d.). Primal diet: Foods to eat and foods to avoid. Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320516.php