Making smart carb choices is a very important part of any weight-loss diet. They are rich in dietary fiber and protein that will satisfy your hunger, take time to digest and hence replenish your energy levels for a long time, all while providing you with essential nutrients so that you don’t miss out on your health while shedding those extra pounds. However, there are some carbs that are high in their glycemic index, break down quickly in the body, and thereby result in rapid spike in your blood-sugar levels. This can work adversely and result in weight-gain.
Here are five carbs that are perfect fit for your weight-loss plan:
1. Barley: This low calorie cereal grain keeps you full for long by slowing down the rate at which the sugar level rises in the body. It is high in insoluble fiber which helps in flushing out the toxins while also replenishing water levels.
2. Green Peas: It boosts the level of leptin hormone in the body, responsible for controlling the feelings of hunger and satiety. Adding green peas to your food will quickly signal your mind that you are full with a small serving.
Chilled Green Pea Soup
3. Whole Wheat: It is an excellent source of fiber and low in saturated fat, which means it makes for a heavy, filling meal with very less calories. Also, it is a store-house of essential vitamins and minerals, which maintain your overall health while you lose your pounds.
4. Beans: While its high fiber content prevents you from over-eating, the storehouse of protein and iron helps in sustaining muscle-mass and maintaining your immunity as you lose weight.
- Rice & Aduki Beans Recipe
- Red Beans And Rice
- Beans & Greens Chili
- Soft Polenta With White Beans & Crispy Sage For Two
5. Quinoa: It is high in protein and dietary fiber, which leaves you satisfied and full for long. Also, it has a low glycemic index and does not pack many calories, which qualify it as a weight-loss food. Besides that, quinoa provides all 8 essential amino acids and vitamins such as magnesium and calcium which don’t let you sacrifice your health at all.