Matcha green tea is made from matcha, which is a fine powdered form of 100 percent natural, organic green tea leaves. It’s been consumed by the Japanese for years now. It is a staple among Buddhists monks too, as it helps them stay alert and awake during long hours of meditation. Now, this health ingredient is becoming popular among the masses too. If you haven’t been in on the trend, here are a few reasons why you must sip on matcha green tea:
- Matcha green tea has incredibly high antioxidant levels. It has six times more antioxidants than goji berries, seven times more than dark chocolate, 17 times that of wild blueberries and a whopping 60.5 times than that of spinach.
- In terms of overall nutrition value, one cup of matcha is equivalent to 10 cups of regular green tea.
- It also contains the potent antioxidants catechins that are recognized for their cancer-fighting properties.
- The leaves used to make matcha contain the amino acid L-Theanine that promotes the production of alpha waves in the brain. This induces relaxation without causing any inherent drowsiness. This also explains why Buddhist monks drank it to help them stay alert while meditating.
- Drinking matcha green tea also increases the metabolism, thus helping the body burn more fat.