Soy milk is popularly dubbed as a healthy alternative to cow’s milk. Many vegans and lactose intolerant people switch to this convenient drink for their daily fix of dairy. Before you add it to your shopping list, consider these pros and cons:
- Soy is an excellent source of protein. Unlike most plant -based sources, it contains all nine essential amino acids that help create new proteins.
- It also helps boost your calcium and iron levels that lead to stronger and healthier bones.
- It is a good source of B-complex vitamins including B2 and B12 that shield your DNA and amp up your energy levels.
- Soy contains protease inhibitors that block the enzymes that are essential for the digestion of certain proteins.
- They also contain phytoestrogens that can mimic the body’s natural estrogen hormone. This could lead to testosterone imbalance, low fertility and sperm count in men; and could also cause estrogen dominance which has been linked to infertility and menstrual trouble in women.
- Soy milk contains goitrogens that are potent anti-thyroid compounds, which can cause endocrine disruption and thyroid disorder.
It is essential that you watch your soy milk consumption; moderation is key. It’s best to consult with your doctor or your nutritionist before including it in your diet.