If you’re tuned in to social media, you’ve probably chanced upon a new food trend that’s as healthy as it is pretty—the smoothie bowl. Just like the breakfast bowl, this fad seems to be putting all of our favorite ingredients in a quick, convenient bowl.
Although the name suggests that it’s simply a smoothie eaten in a bowl (instead of a bottle or a glass), it’s actually a lot better. Think of it as a cross between a smoothie, a yogurt parfait, and an ice cream—delicious! Plus, it’s as nutritious and filling as any smoothie recipe out there.
The smoothie bowl has a richer, creamier consistency, so that it can be eaten with a spoon. Adding ice, frozen fruit and veggies, protein powder, or healthy fat like avocado and nut butter, helps thicken the mix. Because it’s so much like gelato, or ice cream, you can scoop it into a bowl, and top it with fun ingredients like almond shavings, chia seeds, shredded coconut, and fresh berries. Now that would make a picture worth blogging about.
Eating this visual treat with a spoon will allow you to savor it better, thus keeping you well satiated for longer. Here’s how you can prepare the healthy snack at home:
- 1 large frozen banana, peeled
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¾ cup frozen raspberries
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp acai berry powder
- 1 tsp maca root powder (optional)
- ½ cup water (You may require 1 cup if you’re additionally using protein powder too.)
- Extra fruits, nuts, granola and toasted coconut for garnish
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Add all the ingredients, expect chia seeds in a blender and spin it till it form a smooth consistency.
- Add in the chia seeds and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes. Doing so allows the chia seeds to absorb some of the water thus making the smoothie thicker.
- Spin this mix in the blender once more and pour it in two bowls.
- Layer the smoothie bowl with toppings such as fruits, nuts, granola or coconut shreds and enjoy this healthy breakfast.
You can also convert a simple smoothie recipe into a creamier version for your bowl, by adding a few thickening agents like banana, ice, frozen fruit and veggies, and protein powder.
- Lean & Green Smoothie Recipe
- Chocolate Banana Almond Butter Smoothie
- Red, White & Blueberry Smoothie