Everybody’s favorite non-vegetarian Indian dish is, without doubt, creamy butter chicken. Between the flavorful curry and tender chicken, this dish can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Eaten with rice or naan, many like to add a dash of yogurt to complete the meal.
In this recipe, we slow cook the butter chicken to keep the chicken as moist and tender as possible. We also add a healthy twist by switching out the heavy cream in favor of coconut cream.
Prepping butter chicken starts with cutting up and chopping some of the ingredients, followed by 10 – 15 minutes of cooking time on the skillet. After that, the butter chicken is put in the slow cooker to do its magic.
All the ingredients below can be found at any local Indian grocery store, or in the ethnic food aisle at your local supermarket.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe
- 3 pounds of organic skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala powder (or cayenne pepper powder)
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 (6 oz.) can of tomato paste
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can of coconut cream
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil
- Lightly coat a large, non-stick frying pan with vegetable oil followed by adding the chicken pieces. Sear both sides of chicken pieces until lightly browned.
- In a separate pan, saute diced onions and minced garlic in vegetable oil until lightly browned.
- Add all the ingredients, starting with the chicken pieces, into the slow cooker and lightly stir together.
- Set the slow cooker on low heat for 6 – 8 hours. If you are looking to eat a little sooner, set the slow cooker on high heat for 4 hours.
- About halfway through the cooking time, lightly stir the ingredients. You will notice the sauce becomes thicker as it slow cooks.
- After your slow cooker beeps, let the butter chicken rest in the slow cooker for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
You will notice that this recipe is an easy way to make this yummy dish. If you are pressed for time when prepping this butter chicken, however, you have the option to add all the ingredients to the slow cooker at once.