People today are monitoring their eating habits closely, trying out different diets depending on what they can achieve with them. So whether you are going organic, vegetarian, vegan, paleo, pegan or gluten-free, you should focus on eating more plant-based, wholesome and minimally processed foods. When it comes to milk, folks prefer to consume non-dairy substitutes such as milks made from almonds, cashew, coconut, rice, flax, hemp, and soy, to name a few. We tell you how to go about shopping for them and what to keep in mind when you do.
Things to keep in mind when buying commercially prepared dairy-free milk:
- Usually highly processed with preservatives and artificial ingredients to enhance flavor and lengthen shelf life
- Elevated sugar content thanks to it being added during processing
- Contain fortified nutrients such as calcium, protein and vitamins
4 Shopping Tips For Non-Dairy Milk:
- Choose the kinds that have to be refrigerated as they tend to have shorter shelf lives because they contain less preservatives and artificial additives.
- Check out the ingredients every time and if there are too many hard to pronounce words, perhaps you should put it back on the shelf.
- Choose plain or unsweetened versions always instead of being tempted by flavors and colors, all of which are artificial.
- Monitor sugar levels before you purchase since most dairy-free milks are artificially sweetened.
We absorb only 32 percent of the calcium available in milk whereas we can benefit from almost 40-64 percent of the calcium present in fresh, green veg like broccoli, kale, and Brussels sprouts. All the more reason to load up on those greens.