Were you aware that the ninth leading cause of death in the United States is kidney disease? An estimated 31 million people in the United States are suffering from kidney failure; that’s almost 10% of the adult population! Our kidneys play an important role in our health and are responsible for removing waste from the blood, balancing body fluids, and facilitating urine production, to name a few.
With processed foods constantly being advertised and fast-food becoming more accessible, it can be difficult to keep a healthy lifestyle and even harder to take care of your kidneys. So, to pay tribute to World Kidney Day, we’re going to provide you with natural kidney detox drinks and simple tips to keep your kidneys healthy.
Your kidneys are pivotal for your survival. They have several important functions, including filtering waste substances out of your blood and balancing the levels of salt and water in your body. Along with the previously mentioned tasks, your kidneys are also responsible for:
- Regulating blood volume
- Regulating blood pressure
- Regulating the pH level of your blood
- Regulation of the ionic composition of blood
- Producing red blood cells
- Synthesis of vitamin D
- Excretion of waste products and foreign substances
How to Take Care of Your Kidneys
With all the responsibilities your kidneys have to take care of on a regular basis, wouldn’t you want to make sure you’re taking care of them? Fortunately, caring for your kidneys isn’t a daunting task, considering all you have to do is take care of yourself.
By doing this you’ll be helping your kidneys function properly and stay healthy for years to come. Follow these simple 4 lifestyle steps that can help you keep them in good shape:
- Monitor your blood pressure: High blood pressure can increase your risk of kidney failure and heart disease. Make sure your blood pressure is between 90/60 mmHg and 120/80 mmHg.
- Maintain a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI): Being too heavy raises your blood pressure, which is bad for your kidneys. Try to maintain a consistent workout routine to keep your weight and BMI in check.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of fluids will help your kidneys function properly.
- Eat healthily: A balanced diet will help you get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. Eat plenty of fruit, vegetables, and whole grains like whole-wheat rice, whole-wheat pasta, and whole-wheat bread.
Along with these simple lifestyle tips, try a natural kidney cleanse. It’s good for you, it’s affordable, and it doesn’t require a doctor’s appointment. Plus, it can easily be done out of the comfort of your own home.
How to Naturally Cleanse Your Kidneys
There are many different ways you can cleanse your kidneys, and the cleanses typically last about five days. Consider trying one of these 2 methods:
- Perform a juice fast for five days, where you don’t eat anything other than juice
- Eat a raw fruit and vegetable diet on day 1 and day 5 of your cleanse, and fast on juices for days 2, 3 and 4 of the cleanse.
You can use a variety of juices to flush your kidneys. The following 3 juice recipes include an excellent combination of nutrients that are known to help cleanse your kidneys:
Natural Kidney Cleansing Recipes
1. Radish Kidney Detox
What you will need:
- 6-8 radishes
- ½ head of purple cabbage
- 8 sticks of celery
- 1 lemon
- 1-inch ginger root
Method: Please make sure you use GMO-free produce whenever possible. Wash the fresh produce before using. Put all of the ingredients in your juicer and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. This should make one serving, enough to be utilized as a meal replacement during your kidney cleanse.
2. Kidney Watermelon Cleanse
What you will need:
- ½ watermelon (or fresh coconut water)
- 1 lime or lemon (peeled)
Method: Cut the watermelon into pieces and place in the juicer with the lime (or lemon).
Tip: When juicing the watermelon, make sure to always include the rind. It is very helpful for breaking down any stone calcification in the kidneys. This is a very efficient cleanse, so don’t be surprised if you notice a major difference after.
3. Cayenne, Lemon, and Lime Kidney Cleanse
What you will need:
- 1 lemon
- ½ a lime
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces of water
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
Method: Juice the lemon and lime, then mix into 16-ounces of water with raw honey. Add a dash of cayenne pepper to taste.
Tips: The combination of lemon, lime, and cayenne pepper is a powerful trio that can be used each day of your cleanse.
Cleansing your kidneys is a simple, yet effective way to prevent bloating and other signs of kidney complications. Your kidneys are essential for your overall well-being, so it’s important to take care of them.
By following the suggested lifestyle tips and cleansing recipes, you can keep your kidneys in good shape and positively contribute to your health. Take care of your kidneys because they take care of you!
Kidney: Function and Anatomy, Diagram, Conditions, and Health Tips. (n.d.). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/kidney
Global Facts: About Kidney Disease. (2015, March 11). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://www.kidney.org/kidneydisease/global-facts-about-kidney-disease
Dr. Edward Group DC, NP, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM. (2014, June 23). 5 Kidney Cleansing Drinks. Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/5-kidney-cleansing-drinks/