June 21 is International Yoga Day. To celebrate it with Z Living, click here.
The benefits of yoga are endless, particularly for diabetics. Not only does it help decrease the sugar levels, it also lowers blood pressure, keeps weight in control and helps reduces stress, too.
Here are five easy yoga asanas that anyone, diabetic or not, can use to help regulate blood sugar and blood pressure.
1. Sun Salutation, Or Suryanamaskar
This asana not only gently activates the entire endocrine system (the organs which secrete hormones directly into the circulatory system), but also helps the pancreas function properly. (Click here to find out how to do this asana)
2. Twisted Pose, Or Ardhavakra Asana
This asana helps the abdominal organs to function properly by activating the adrenal glands, ovaries, pancreas and testicles. (Click here to find out how to do this asana)
3. Reclining Thunderbolt-Diamond Pose, Or Suptavajra Asana
4. Bridge Pose, Or Setu Bandhasana
This pose not only keep one’s blood pressure in control, but also helps to relax the mind and improves digestion. (Click here to find out how to do this asana)
5. Alternate Nostril Breathing, Or Anulom Vilom Pranayama
Breathing in and out deeply helps oxygenate your blood and improves circulation. It also calms the mind and gives your nerves some much needed rest. (Click here to find out how to do this asana)
1. McDermott KA, Rao MR, Nagarathna R, Murphy EJ, Burke A, Nagendra RH, Hecht FM.A yoga intervention for type 2 diabetes risk reduction: a pilot randomized controlled trial. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014 Jul 1;14:212. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-212. PubMed PMID: 24980650; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4096416.
2. Hartley L, Dyakova M, Holmes J, Clarke A, Lee MS, Ernst E, Rees K. Yoga for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev.2014 May 13;5:CD010072. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD010072.pub2. PubMed PMID:24825181.
3. de G R Hansen E, Innes KE. The benefits of yoga for adults with type 2 diabetes: a review of the evidence and call for a collaborative,integrated research initiative. Int J Yoga Therapy 2013;(23):71-83. Review. PubMed PMID:24165527.
4. Thent ZC, Das S, Henry LJ. Role of exercise in the management of diabetes mellitus: the global scenario. PLoS One. 2013 Nov 13;8(11): e80436. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0080436. eCollection 2013. Review. PubMed PMID: 24236181;PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3827454.