Essential oils known for their calming, soothing, balancing, or mood-lifting properties can help one cope with PMS symptoms.
Suggested Essential Oils For PMS
Clarysage is believed to have a calming and balancing effect on the emotions as well as on the female hormones and organs, and is therefore the single most prescribed oil for PMS.
Other soothing and balancing oils include:
Oils for general irritability and depression include:
- Rose oil
- Some essential oils are contraindicated for specific preexisting medical conditions. Speak with your doctor before adopting this or any other complementary therapy.
- Essential oils should be used as a complement to conventional medicine, not a substitute. If your PMS gets worse, speak with your doctor.
- Essential oils are highly potent. You rarely need more than a few drops, and using them undiluted can irritate your skin. Unless you’re working with a diffuser or oil lamp, dilute the individual oils in warm water, or in a carrier oil (for example sweet almond, avocado, grape seed or jojoba).
Whether working with one essential oil or a blend, you have several methods of administration from which to choose. Would you prefer to massage the oils into your skin, diffuse them throughout the room, or keep them on hand so that you can choose when to inhale them? The most important thing is to select an approach that works for you.
- Add a few drops of the oil/s to a bath and soak for about 15 minutes.
- Gently massage a few drops of the diluted oil/s over your lower abdomen and pelvic area
- Add a few drops of the diluted oil/s to a compress. Apply the compress to your lower abdomen, back and pelvic region.
- Add a few drops of the oil/s to an aromatherapy diffuser or oil burner (DIY version: A few drops in a bowl of very hot water).
One Step Further
Essential oils should not be thought of as a cure-all. There are a variety of holistic approaches you can use to help alleviate symptoms of PMS, including cutting caffeine from your diet, meditating, and even drinking a cup of specially-prepared hormone balance tea.