Reiki symbols are symbols of spiritual energy that exist in nature. Reiki practitioners believe that every living thing is composed of spiritual energy (reiki) which can be harnessed and used for healing, in the broad sense of the word. Reiki can heal mental conditions, relationships and every aspect of life. By learning to use Reiki symbols, one can achieve balance personal balance, as well as balance with relationships and environment. In this way, Reiki can make life more complete.
From Japan to America
Reiki is a spiritual practice developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui. It is said that he discovered it on Mount Kurama while on a Buddhist retreat that involved fasting, chanting and praying. Due to a mystical revelation, Usui developed the ability to heal others through energy that entered his body through the crown of his head, known to Buddhists as the crown chakra.
In the early 1930s, Hawayo Takata, a Japanese American, had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a variety of serious gastrointestinal ailments and severe depression leading to a nervous breakdown. Her husband had died, and she was having difficulty supporting herself and her two daughters. After going to Japan for treatment, she chose alternative treatments rather than having an operation. After four months of seeing a Reiki practitioner, she was cured. She decided to learn Reiki, working with Chujiro Hayashi, described as “Reiki’s grand master.” In 1937, she came back to the United States and set up her own private practice and began to teach Reiki.
How Reiki symbols work
Reiki symbols are used to channel the energies of living things so people can use them for healing. There are numerous variations of Reiki symbols because, in the early years, it was forbidden to keep written copies of the Reiki symbols. Masters taught Reiki symbols to their students by word of mouth and students would then use and pass on that same technique. As more students became masters, the practice spread and the variations have grown. The Reiki symbols are said to be a medium to make it easier to harness the surrounding spiritual energy, but not all practitioners of Reiki use the symbols. It depends on whether they find them helpful to channel spiritual energy.
Heal and restore balance
- Non-invasive healing – Reiki symbols can heal a number of disorders physically, mentally, and spiritually with the use of nature’s energy. There are no medications or operations needed to get the benefits from Reiki symbols. It is a simple and non-invasive way to become healthier and attain the wholeness.
- It restores the body’s natural energy –The loss of spiritual energy of the body can cause numerous problems in the body and mind. Less energy can also affect interpersonal relationships. Practitioners use Reiki symbols to replenish this energy and to restore the natural healing ability of the body, increasing its natural defenses. They may make the mind less susceptible to stress.
- It can be used as a complimentary medicine – As reiki is non-invasive and non pharmacological, it can be safely used as a complimentary medicine. There are no dangers that it might interact with other drugs or treatments. Even pregnant women can use Reiki symbols without any negative side effects.
Natural remedy for insomnia and stress
- Insomnia –Reiki can normalize the body’s energy levels and can ease the person’s mind. People who worry too much can have insomniabecause they can’t relax. Reiki symbols can make the mind more peaceful, aiding relaxation and insomnia.
- Slow Aging – When there is an imbalance of energy in the body, the body will age faster. Reiki practitioners claim that these imbalances may cause stress and illness and use reiki symbols to help balance the body and mind.
- Hormonal imbalance – Most health problems are caused by hormonal imbalances. Reiki may promote hormonal balance, by normalizing the body’s energy.
- Psychological disorders – Reiki may prevent or cure psychological disorders like anxiety and panic disorder. According to reiki practitioners, negative thoughts are caused by or amplify negative energy and Reiki symbols are used to balance the mind’s positive and negative energy to achieve calm.
- Stress – Stress can be amplified by mental fixation. In Reiki terms, this leads to a mental energy blockage that can cause anxiety or depression. By normalizing energy flows, reiki can help eliminate the harmful aspects of stress.
There are no known negative side effects associated with Reiki symbols. This is because Reiki symbols are non-invasive and non-pharmacological. Reiki is safe for pregnant women.
Around the world, people say they have been helped by Reiki and its symbols, for mental disorders and other health problems. People report feelings of warmth, calmness and inner peace. However, a 2008 systematic review of randomized clinical trials assessing Reiki concluded that efficacy had not been demonstrated for any condition. The 2009 Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that the there were serious methodological and reporting flaws in many studies, making it impossible to determine effectiveness. For these reasons, it is not advisable to replace medical treatment with Reiki. If you think reiki is right for you, look for a highly recommended practitioner.