In our constant race against time, it seems as if we are always in a rush to go somewhere or achieve the unachievable. Nutrition, adequate sleep and healthy habits are essential to keeping us in this race, and if we don’t get these necessities, we often find ourselves chronically fatigued and unable to cope with the pressures of the day.
By taking a deep breath and refueling after a long and trying day, you will be able to rejuvenate yourself with the benefits of essential oils. But, before you begin shopping for essential oils, you must figure out the underlying cause of your lack of energy and which essential oils would be most beneficial for you.
What Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Chronic fatigue syndrome or (CFS) is a disease characterized by extreme fatigue, sleep abnormalities, pain and other symptoms that are made worse by exertion.
Why CFS happens is still unknown, but there have been links that include stress, low immunity and hormonal imbalances.
CFS affects more women as opposed to men and the main symptom is fatigue for a period of six months. The fatigue often worsens with activity, but doesn’t improve with rest.
- Extreme exhaustion
- Poor concentration and memory
- Headache or fuzzy feeling in the head
- Hypersomnia or other sleeping issues
- Sore throat
- Aching in muscles and legs
- Waking feeling tired
- Depressive-type illness
- Feeling feverish (with a normal temperature)
- Tender and swollen lymph glands
Unfortunately, there is no cure for chronic fatigue syndrome, however, essential oils have been effective in addressing this problem at all levels.
Reviving Essential Oils
Here are the most common essential oils for treating CFS:
- Lemon essential oil is an excellent remedy for chronic fatigue syndrome that is known for its immune boosting capabilities and the ability to stimulate the production of white blood cells. Not only does it clarify and fortify the mind, but lemon oil also clarifies and fortifies the body.
- Cedarwood essential oil is relaxing as well as uplifting. Cedarwood also helps soothe the nervous system and it can give you strength when you are feeling weak or sick.
- Cardamom essential oil is warm, supportive, energizing and rejuvenating. It also soothes and relieves muscular fatigue associated with CFS.
- Rosemary essential oil is well known for its encouraging effect on the central nervous system. It’s an effective brain stimulant for fatigue, depression and lethargy.
- Basil essential oil is an excellent treatment for chronic fatigue. It has a sweet and spicy aroma that is enough to melt your cares away and induce a calm, clear mind. Warming and uplifting, it is perfect for anyone suffering from physical or mental exhaustion.
- Helichrysum italicum essential oil has a grounding scent that is great for calming inflammation, promoting mental clarity and restoring balance to the body and mind.
- Lavender essential oil has amazing calming and relaxing properties that help to relieve stress and tension, making it very helpful for relieving mental fatigue and helping with sleep.
- Eucalyptus essential oil has a comforting aroma that boosts energy, focus and mental clarity. It can also soothe sore muscles, relieves headaches and eases overall aches and pains related to chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Cypress essential oil is calming and relaxing, and it’s great for relieving anxiety. It also boosts energy and stimulates a feeling of happiness and content.
- Geranium essential oil helps in the treatment of chronic fatigue because it has a regulating effect on the nervous system. It is great for relieving stress, nervous tension, anxiety and depression associated with CFS.
- Chamomile essential oil possesses calming and soothing effects that can help with insomnia associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Peppermint essential oil is uplifting and energizing. It helps sharpen your mental process and improve your focus. It is also helpful for sore muscles and joints related to chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Juniper berry essential oil is emotionally uplifting, boosts energy and vitality and soothes aches and pains associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
You can use these oils individually or blend them together to help relieve the symptoms caused by chronic fatigue syndrome. Refer to the energizing essential oil recipe below.
Energizing Diffusion Blend
- 4 drops rosemary
- 3 drops peppermint
- 3 drops geranium
- 2 drops lemon
- 2 drops basil
This recipe was formulated for a large room, so make sure to add these drops to 2 to 3 tablespoons of distilled water in a diffuser or oil warmer. This blend is also gentle enough to use daily. Try adding the following essential oils to use in your bath water to reap their rejuvenating benefits.
Add the following oils to your bath
- 3 drops rosemary
- 2 drops peppermint
- 2 drops geranium
Make sure you play with different varieties of essential oil blends to see which blend is most effective for you. And, as usual, make sure you speak to your doctor before using any alternative remedies.