No one likes having a sore throat, but if you’ve ever experienced strep throat before, you know that the pain associated with it is far worse and leaves many searching for natural remedies at home.
If you were to visit a doctor for strep throat, they would most likely prescribe you a bottle of antibiotics. However, with the uproar of antibiotic-resistant bacteria becoming more common, more researchers are looking for alternatives and surprisingly turmeric has shown promising results.
You may have heard of this rich golden spice that adds a distinctive taste to a variety of cuisines, but were you aware that turmeric has been used in traditional Eastern medicine for centuries?
From preventing infections to relieving arthritis pain, turmeric has been used to treat an extensively long list of health conditions and strep throat happens to be one of them.
What Is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a root that contains a polyphenolic compound called curcumin, which possesses powerful antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory capabilities. These abilities make turmeric the perfect remedy for treating sore and strep throats. Turmeric has also been found to reduce inflammation caused by laryngitis and treat tonsillitis as well.
Remedies Using Turmeric
If you’re currently dealing with a sore throat or caught a case of strep throat, try out these simple remedies using turmeric to help you feel better.
1. Gargling With Turmeric
Just like you gargle your mouth out with salt water, you can mix turmeric and salt in warm water to make a gargle solution that can help relieve your sore throat.
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic turmeric powder (antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (reduces swelling and kills bacteria)
- 1 cup of warm water (soothes the throat)
- Add turmeric and salt into a glass of warm water.
- Mix well and gargle with this solution in the morning and once again before you go to bed.
Gargle with this solution twice a day for at least two to four days to effectively treat your sore throat. Make sure you don’t eat or drink anything for at least 30 minutes after you gargle to allow the salt and turmeric to do their job.
2. Turmeric Milk
This remedy is extremely useful and has been used as an old Ayurvedic remedy for sore throats for centuries. It is also helpful during the winter months to keep colds away.
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder (antiviral and antibacterial)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper powder (allows the body to absorb the turmeric)
- 1 cup of milk (nourishes and soothes the throat)
- Boil a cup of milk and let it cool before pouring it into a glass.
- Add the turmeric and black pepper.
- Mix everything together.
Drink this turmeric milk twice a day for two to three days to treat your sore throat and cough.
3. Turmeric Tea
Tea always helps a sore or strep throat. You can also brew a cup of turmeric tea to help soothe your irritated throat.
- 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder (antibacterial and anti-inflammatory)
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey (antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory)
- 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon juice (kills bacteria)
- 2 cups of water
- Boil the 2 cups of water.
- Add in the turmeric and stir.
- Let the turmeric boil for 5 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Let it cool and add in the honey and lemon.
- Mix well and enjoy.
Drink this tea twice a day or with every meal for at least three days to help soothe your sore throat. After the first cup, you will notice a difference.