Sometimes referred to as the Chinese apple or ‘jewel of the winter’ (since they are in season during early winter in North America), pomegranates are one of the world’s most popular fruits. Pomegranates (Punica granatum) can help prevent or treat risk factors for various diseases such as high blood pressure, oxidative stress, high cholesterol levels, hyperglycemia (high blood sugar), and inflammation.
The antioxidants in pomegranate juice are three times more potent than those in red wine and green tea. An animal study found that it is effective in increasing blood flow and improving erectile dysfunction, too.
Pomegranate’s antibacterial and antifungal properties protect against conditions such as gingivitis, denture stomatitis, and periodontitis.[4,5] It can stop the reproduction (and also kill some) breast cancer cells.[6,7,8]
Pomegranate Juice For Erectile Dysfunction
Oxidative damage can interfere with the flow of blood to the different parts of the body, including the erectile tissue.
Animal studies show that pomegranate juice is beneficial in increasing blood flow and erectile response in rabbits. In a clinical study done on 53 men with erectile dysfunction, pomegranate seems to have improved erectile response.
How To Take It
- Drink four ounces of pomegranate juice twice daily to improve erectile response and sexual health.
1. Zarfeshany A, Asgary S, Javanmard SH. Potent health effects of pomegranate. Advanced Biomedical Research. 2014;3:100. doi:10.4103/2277-9175.129371.
2. Gil MI, Tomás-Barberán FA, Hess-Pierce B, Holcroft DM, Kader AA. Antioxidant activity of pomegranate juice and its relationship with phenolic composition and processing. J Agric Food Chem. 2000 Oct;48(10):4581-9. PubMed PMID: 11052704.
3. Azadzoi KM, Schulman RN, Aviram M, Siroky MB. Oxidative stress in arteriogenic erectile dysfunction: prophylactic role of antioxidants. J Urol. 2005 Jul;174(1):386-93. PubMed PMID: 15947695.
4. Abdollahzadeh S, Mashouf R, Mortazavi H, Moghaddam M, Roozbahani N, Vahedi M. Antibacterial and Antifungal Activities of Punica Granatum Peel Extracts Against Oral Pathogens. Journal of Dentistry (Tehran, Iran). 2011;8(1):1-6.
5. Vasconcelos LC, Sampaio MC, Sampaio FC, Higino JS. Use of Punica granatum as an antifungal agent against candidosis associated with denture stomatitis. Mycoses. 2003 Jun;46(5-6):192-6. PubMed PMID: 12801361.
6. Jeune MA, Kumi-Diaka J, Brown J. Anticancer activities of pomegranate extracts and genistein in human breast cancer cells. J Med Food. 2005 Winter;8(4):469-75. PubMed PMID: 16379557.
7. Dikmen M, Ozturk N, Ozturk Y. The antioxidant potency of Punica granatum L. Fruit peel reduces cell proliferation and induces apoptosis on breast cancer. J Med Food. 2011 Dec;14(12):1638-46. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2011.0062. Epub 2011 Aug 23. PubMed PMID: 21861726.
8. Shirode AB, Kovvuru P, Chittur SV, Henning SM, Heber D, Reliene R. Antiproliferative effects of pomegranate extract in MCF-7 breast cancer cells are associated with reduced DNA repair gene expression and induction of double strand breaks. Mol Carcinog. 2014 Jun;53(6):458-70. doi: 10.1002/mc.21995. Epub 2013 Jan 28. PubMed PMID: 23359482.
9. Azadzoi KM, Schulman RN, Aviram M, Siroky MB. Oxidative stress in arteriogenic erectile dysfunction: prophylactic role of antioxidants. J Urol. 2005 Jul;174(1):386-93. PubMed PMID: 15947695.
10. Forest CP, Padma-Nathan H, Liker HR. Efficacy and safety of pomegranate juice on improvement of erectile dysfunction in male patients with mild to moderate erectile dysfunction: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover study. Int J Impot Res. 2007 Nov-Dec;19(6):564-7. Epub 2007 Jun 14. PubMed PMID: 17568759.