Bacteria, viruses, allergens, pollutants and several other allergy-causing agents find their way to our respiratory system through the air we breathe. This often results in a sore throat, followed by a pesky cough.
A dry cough, accompanied by a scratchy throat and dry mouth, can be annoying and take days to go away. Though there are a number of decongestants available in the market, you can find a natural alternative to treat dry cough in pineapple juice.
Pineapple Juice For Dry Cough
Rich in the enzyme bromelain, pineapple juice can reduce inflammation caused by excessive coughing.  Pineapple also contains manganese, which plays an important role in the formation of connective tissue and bones.
A 2010 study found that pineapple juice is about five times more effective in reducing mucus, compared to medical cough suppressants available in the market.  The fruit is rich in vitamin C, which is known for its immune-strengthening properties. It can also relieve symptoms of arthritis, regulate blood pressure levels and manage cancer.
How To Use It
- Juice a pineapple enough to make an 8oz glass. Add 1tsp honey to it. Heat it a little (over low flame) to ensure that the honey is dissolved completely. Have this juice twice a day to reduce cough and ease congestion.
- To make a stronger cough-suppressing potion, you can add ½tsp grated ginger and cayenne pepper to the above mixture. Have it once a day for greater relief.
1. Cervo MM, Llido LO, Barrios EB, Panlasigui LN. Effects of canned pineapple consumption on nutritional status, immunomodulation, and physical health of selected school children. J Nutr Metab. 2014;2014:861659. doi:10.1155/2014/861659. Epub 2014 Nov 20. PubMed PMID: 25505983; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4258310.
2. Mitchell AM, Strobel GA, Moore E, Robison R, Sears J. Volatile antimicrobials from Muscodor crispans, a novel endophytic fungus. Microbiology. 2010 Jan;156(Pt 1):270-7. doi: 10.1099/mic.0.032540-0. Epub 2009 Oct 1. PubMed PMID: 19797357.
3. Secor ER Jr, Shah SJ, Guernsey LA, Schramm CM, Thrall RS. Bromelain limits airway inflammation in an ovalbumin-induced murine model of established asthma. Altern Ther Health Med. 2012 Sep-Oct;18(5):9-17. PubMed PMID: 22894886.
4. Cohen HA, Rozen J, Kristal H, Laks Y, Berkovitch M, Uziel Y, Kozer E, Pomeranz A, Efrat H. Effect of honey on nocturnal cough and sleep quality: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Pediatrics. 2012 Sep;130(3):465-71. doi: 10.1542/peds.2011-3075. Epub 2012 Aug 6. PubMed PMID: 22869830.