Hormones are produced in the endocrine glands and are considered the body’s chemical messenger. Their main duty is to travel through the bloodstream and order tissues and organs to do certain tasks. Hormones control important functions in the body and imbalances in hormone production can disrupt processes like metabolism and reproduction.
Common Causes and Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalances
Hormonal imbalances can either mean excessive production of or lack of certain hormones and both scenarios can have an adverse impact on our overall health. Here are some common symptoms noticed in both men and women suffering from a hormonal imbalance:
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
- Heightened sensitivity to cold and heat
- Sudden weight loss
- Depression and anxiety
- Blurred vision
- Thinning, brittle hair
- Decreased sex drive
Specific symptoms seen in women:
- Heavy or irregular periods
- Excessive facial hair
- Darkening of skin at the back of the neck, under the bust line, and groin
- Night sweats
Specific symptoms seen in men:
- Breast tenderness
- Erectile dysfunction
- Loss of muscle mass
- Difficulty concentrating
- Decrease in body hair, including beard
Tips for Regaining Hormonal Balance Naturally
Although there are many medicines that could help restore hormonal balance, there are some natural remedies that could complement any medications that you are on. Most importantly, follow a healthy lifestyle comprising of regular exercise and a balanced diet to help your body restore its balance.
Reduce the intake of refined sugar, carbohydrates and add healthy fats
Fats are essential for hormone production and also help reduce inflammation and even support weight loss. Foods rich in healthy fats include coconut oil, avocados, and wild-caught salmon.
Add more proteins to your meals
Experts recommend consuming 20-30 grams of protein per meal for optimum results. Proteins can help boost metabolism and fat burning, which can eventually help in weight loss, an important factor in bringing back hormonal balance.
Exercise is known to help decrease insulin levels in the body and also increase insulin sensitivity. This helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Physical activity could also improve muscle maintenance in the body.
Reduce stress by practicing yoga and meditation or by simply taking a break from your daily routine for a few minutes to take a few deep breaths or listen to some relaxing music.
Consider adaptogen herbs
These herbs are said to have healing properties and could support hormone balance. They also support the immune system, reduce anxiety, and stabilize blood sugar levels, all of which can help bring back hormonal balance. Common adaptogen herbs include Holy Basil, Ashwagandha, and Rhodiola.
Use essential oils
Try to avoid the use of products containing toxins on your body and incorporate natural components like essential oils, shea butter, and coconut oil. Some hormone-balancing essential oils include fennel, lavender, clary sage, and sandalwood.
Use natural supplements to address deficiencies
Some natural supplements like evening primrose oil, probiotics, vitamin D, and bone broth could help restore hormonal balance by relieving symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), increasing the amount of available vitamin D in the system, boosting healthy digestion, and promoting overall health.
Sleep is a restorative tool and lack of sleep can lead to various issues including hormonal imbalances. So it is essential to get the recommended 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
- 12 Natural Ways to Balance Your Hormones. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/balance-hormones
- Axe, J. (2018, May 23). 7 Steps to Balance Hormones Naturally. Retrieved from https://draxe.com/10-ways-balance-hormones-naturally/
- K. (2018, May 20). How to Balance Hormones Naturally | Wellness Mama. Retrieved from https://wellnessmama.com/5425/balance-hormones/
- Huizen, J. (n.d.). Hormonal imbalance: Symptoms, causes, and treatment. Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321486.php
- Burtan, M. (2018, January 31). How to Balance Your Hormones – The Ultimate Guide for Men and Women. Retrieved from https://www.motionnutrition.com/ultimate-guide-hormones-balance/
- Hormonal Imbalance: Symptoms, Treatment, Tests, and Causes. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/hormonal-imbalance