- 1 1/2 cups black-eyed peas, soaked overnight (or two 15-ounce cans, rinsed)
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 links turkey sausage, diced and cooked
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Discard soaking water from black-eyed peas.
- Place peas in 3 cups fresh water in a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil. Skim and discard the foam that rises to the top.
- Add bay leaves. Cover and simmer over a low flame for 1 hour.
- Add 1 teaspoon sea salt and continue cooking 15-20 minutes or until beans soften.
- In a deep frying pan, sauté onions and garlic with olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked beans and bay leaves, chicken stock, oregano and sausage. Season the with remaining sea salt (1/2 teaspoon) and black pepper. Adjust to taste.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Serve hot and garnish with fresh parsley.