For pie crust:
- 1 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (available at natural foods stores and online)
- 1 teaspoon Stevia Plus powder (available at natural foods stores and online)
- 3/4 cup organic vegetable shortening
- 2 Omega-3 organic eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon coconut toddy (vinegar) w/ agave (at Erewhon)
For pie filling:
- 2 large Omega-3 organic eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic unsweetened pumpkin
- 1/2 cup light agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons dark agave nectar
- 2 droppers Vanilla CrÃƒÂ¨me stevia liquid drops
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- To prepare crust, sift together first five ingredients. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter. Mixture will look like small crumbles. Set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together egg, water and toddy. Add this to flour mixture, mixing well. Use hands to form into a ball. Cut dough in half and reshape each into a ball. Reserve half of the dough for another use.
- Place half of the dough on a sheet of wax paper. Cover dough with another sheet of wax paper, and carefully roll out crust until it is big enough to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Carefully—but quickly—remove top sheet of wax paper and flip crust into pie plate. If the crust breaks, just press it back together. Flute edges.
- Beat remaining egg. With pastry brush, coat fluted edges of pie crust with egg and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To prepare pie filling, use a stand-up mixer to beat eggs. Add rest of ingredients in the order in which they are listed; blend. Pour into prepared piecrust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes or until center is set.