Fresh, local asparagus is great for your health and your palate. Enjoy this heart-warming recipe.
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups rice, Arborio or Valencia
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock, simmering in saucepan
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 T. minced shallots
- Olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 T. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 T. butter, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Dice tomatoes and fresh basil for garnish. Trim asparagus and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes, move to an ice bath using a slotted spoon and then dry on paper towels. Set aside.
- Saute onions in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and shallots and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add rice and coat with oil. Add some stock at a time, stirring until most of the liquid is absorbed each time.
- Test consistency of the rice when it starts to appear translucent around the edges. Add one final spoon of stock, asparagus, butter, and fresh parsley; salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with diced tomatoes and fresh basil. Serve warm.