Vitamin A is essential for healthy skin. Carrots are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which the body converts to –you guessed it– vitamin A. Try this easy, tasty carrots and rice dish. It makes a terrific autumn entree.
- 1 cup cooked basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder (available at most specialty food stores)
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Salt (to taste)
Heat oil over medium heat in a deep frying pan. Add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Add thinly sliced onions, green chilies and fry till pink. Add grated carrot and curry leaves and sauté for 1 minute. Add salt, chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Add cooked rice and mix well. Cover the pan and cook on a low flame for about 3-4 minutes. Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves. Serve when hot.